If you have to explain it....

48 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

One of the unfortunate realities in dci is that most of the staff do not make a living wage. As a result, they are using the experience as a short term resume. 

I ask you to closely review and study the recent 990s from the filings of BD, SCV, Cadets, Bluecoats, ect... then repost here with your findings concerning their revenue and pay structures.  If a corps chooses to join the WC and compete with them on the field and cannot equal them financially off the field, that is their own dang fault.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

When the judges stop rewarding esoteric, art inspired, open ended interpretation and themes that are not a concrete story arch. The designers will stop producing shows that play to the sheets. BD has done it for years, never had the fan favorite but win win win.  What's wrong with playing the game that the judges reward? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TwoKidsDad said:

When the judges stop rewarding esoteric, art inspired, open ended interpretation and themes that are not a concrete story arch. The designers will stop producing shows that play to the sheets. BD has done it for years, never had the fan favorite but win win win.  What's wrong with playing the game that the judges reward? 

Again, who tells the judges what to reward?  The directors of the groups being judged.  I don't ever recall the owners of the dogs at the Westminster show telling the judges how to judge the dogs.  It's a vicious circle:  DCI is the member corps, they make the rules that they are then judged by.  Until that cycle is broken, it is what it is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

To highlight the extremes there are the people that say "oh if you don't like ABCs show this year than you must not understand it"... quite condescending...then there are the people that say "it's not a real drum corps show if you have to read the program and do research to understand it"... it's like being in the middle of a heated political debate that I want no part of.

What it comes down to for me really is...do I enjoy the show or not.  I love BKs i and to read and learn more about the concept is so cool to me.  The more I learn about it the more I like it.

Learning about Crown's design is helpful but that doesn't mean I have to like it...haha although seeing Crown live made me change my tune. WOW they are good!

Amen. I have no idea what the hell BK is trying to tell me, but I liked it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TripleForteGuy said:

I was there in 1981 when Phantom Regiment passed out sheets explaining what the heck was going on in Spartacus. Heh. People were complaining before that they didn't understand the show.

and now it's an all time classic

Agree on not wanting to be preached to. I get more of a "religious experience" watching that lone SCV member in a past year, pointing at the sky in that by-now-famous pose, and getting incorporated in the company front, than I do from the Cadets' show this year. 

This: 

https://youtu.be/uSsCiTs42Vs?t=28

Edited by RickCogley

Show descriptions requiring more than one paragraph make me think of navel gazing, or lack of oxygen by designers.

Judges, don't get me started.  When they buy a show ticket, their own travel expenses and souvies, I'll slightly consider their competitive opinions (and no pressure on corps to change uniforms)  As far as old school, I'd like to see pre-show inspections return.