2017 World Championships Semi-Finals - Aug 11

2 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Watching lots all day today:)

I would buy a ticket to sit inside BD's brass circle this year.  The ballad - hair-raising.  The trumpet feature - sublime.

• Like 2

Eager to see performances today. The top 25 has never been this good. Despite the fact that we have gone from thousands of drums corps to 60 or so, depending on how you define a drum corps in 2017, the activity seems quite healthy.

The doubled GE panel is always a great idea. Many state that between the two/four judges' scores probably lies the most accurate assessment. I offer that there are probably at least three ways to consider the GE scores between all GE judges:

The most accurate score is the mean of all four scores. The most accurate score is above the mean. The most accurate score is below the mean. 

It is a subjective caption. I know we could say that about each caption to some degree, but the other sheets are designed to be objective; right/wrong, bad/good, etc.

There are specific words on the sheet that guide the adjudicator to put down a number based on the thirds of the boxes and the judges are trained to consider that one tenth is the targeted accuracy level. Now that they can give .5, I am humbled by the responsibility for these judges to not only commit to the number they write down, but justify that tenth/half a tenth on their tape, in their mind, and probably, in their heart. 

I am curious as to what degree their heart plays a role in their decisions. I am curious how much performance order plays a role when one group has their performance of the summer, and the next group having a flat show, though the repertoire is stronger that the previous corps. I am curious about how long GE judges do or do not re-run their scores and scoring reasons in their heads after the numbers are submitted.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

No ear plugs yesterday and can still hear today. Worth it  

Seriously -  you needed earplugs in the theater yesterday - overblown synth base rattled the house, not in a good way.

• Like 1

Leaving very soon. What's the word on backpacks? 

1 minute ago, tigger2 said:

Eager to see performances today. The top 25 has never been this good.

If I had tickets to the semis I wouldn't miss even one of these corps.  You are right, EVERY one of these shows is worth seeing.  An amazing year.