A Crowning Metaphor - Crown 2017, It Is?

This can add new sense to the singer as she sings "i have been changed for good." Because of drum corps, the football field has been changed for good. Bluecoats tilted it and now Crown is tearing it up.  i dont always need an interpretation of every moment but it is meaningful to me to add some insights and ideas each time i see it. i think the throwingg of the zeros ws added last night and the "torn up" Colts flag as well--so they do change the football field.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FancySnack said:

Ehhhh yeah, but I'm saying that I don't think she represents Crown or DCI.

She never holds a horn or marches or touches a drum. Instead she's covered in yard markers. 

And I'm HUGELY against vocals (sigh, I know...I'm a fogey), but it would be very hard to talk about the field changing without a representation of it, without giving it a voice.

The thing about Crown this year that disappoints me is, they rarely make mistakes early and then double down on them. Inferno was to me the prototype of the opposite, a fundamentally simple, but good idea that they perfected over the season.

I think many, if not most, saw some if not many of this season's design decisions as questionable. They are out performing this show to the nTh degree, and that is the only reason they are where they are. Yard markers has been done, everyone knows that, and it is distracting visually. A singer dominating two thirds of the show...does not work for drum corps imho, no matter the talent of the singer. The music is impeccably performed, but unlike Blue Devils, doesn't tell any part of the drum corps evolutionary story. This show has no There there.

This show was an interesting idea that imho should not have gotten past Day 2 of brainstorming.

AGAIN, jmho!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jast45 said:

This can add new sense to the singer as she sings "i have been changed for good." Because of drum corps, the football field has been changed for good. Bluecoats tilted it and now Crown is tearing it up.  i dont always need an interpretation of every moment but it is meaningful to me to add some insights and ideas each time i see it. i think the throwingg of the zeros ws added last night and the "torn up" Colts flag as well--so they do change the football field.

But the football field has not changed, it is in fact IDENTICAL to the ones the very first drum corps marched on. This is where I feel Blue Devils did their job. They showed that ALL drum corps has been good, and that change has happened...but what we have now is different...but just as good. I fundamentally disagree with Crowns concept. And it makes zero sense coming from Crown, which is the new traditionalist drum corps.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Just Here said:

So, drum corps before this multi-layered arts was too basic and unconsidered where people's entertainment was the goal. Wow!!! And what a fantastic thing to have people use their interpretative abilities on (the football field). I'm so impressed that out of all the things that people would choose to write a show about is not an important concept to human existence such as human communication, love, loss, but a freaking football field. There is such intelligence in that, isn't there??? If one wants to do art, then let it be something that deals with the drama of humanity not a football field. To do this is like making a mountain out of a mole hill.

That's not what they said; you're building straw men.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jast45 said:

This can add new sense to the singer as she sings "i have been changed for good." Because of drum corps, the football field has been changed for good. 

Kind of a narrow minded view. Non-musical folk/sports fans might say the opposite about having bands on the field. 

As a drum corps fan and a sports fan (I've worked at both Bands of America and ESPN), I've never thought one way or the other. I love both and believe they can live in harmony.

Edited by snare_guy_83

Just now, MikeRapp said:

But the football field has not changed, it is in fact IDENTICAL to the ones the very first drum corps marched on.

I guess i see that it has changed for the moment. And the usual rules for the football field and game do change.  Each drum corps show the field changes from its usual purpose as a football field to a place for something completely different--a show.  As dci has continually changed through the years, some of the changes have dealt with the parameters of the field--not following the boundaries of a football field and its rules for the game--so they allow members beyond the "the out of bounds" lines etc. so all i am saying for crowns show is that they make actual changes to the field by removing the lines, numbers,, and rearrange it. 

• Like 1

Why does this have to be drum corps vs. football battle?
The field was used as a frame of reference to perform on.
WGI isn't making the basketball court changed for good because it's performed on either.