A Crowning Metaphor - Crown 2017, It Is?

First off, I like Crown's show this year, but in thinking about its theme, let me offer this:

i give a lot of presentations and from time to time use slide shows, years ago the old fashioned Kodak slides set to music, today they are digital. It is usually to vary the presentation. There are times I pick perfect images that fit the presentation, other times I know I need to fill the presentation with something different. The photos are always nice, the music appropriate, but I will admit sometimes it is an excuse to show photos I like and it's a stretch to fit the presentation. In both cases people enjoy them.

sometimes when a theme of a show is too philosophical, I wonder if the designers did not want to do things, put these things together, and then decide a theme. This could describe a lot of shows that have worked well, and from the sounds of it, that's Crown's show this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcsnare93 said:

Nah, you took one sentence from that entire post to fabricate an argument that wasn't even present.

This idea that those who appreciate shows that require them to think a little is somehow disparaging shows of that past is silly. No one is arguing that shows like '07 Crown, '92 VK, '95 Scouts, or any other show largely considered entertaining, were basic.

Agreed. In fact, it could be argued that some of the more simple concepts are actually some of the most difficult to execute. If anyone here thinks VK's shows were easy to execute they're insane. Those kids worked their butts off and so did their staff. 

2 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I never, at any point, said you didn't like Anna. I think some of us are just tired of hearing about the vocals being an issue. That argument is getting tired.

Uh, you in fact did say that people hate Anna. Your words.

Most people don't like this execution, and it has little if anything to do with Anna. I used to work in the music business, it is ###### hard to perform on a football field. It takes years of experience and world class electronics to sound even decent. Go watch the documentary of Super Bowl halftimes, its full of #### shows from world class recording artists with decades of experience. It was a fundamentally bad idea to build a show around a non-professional singer on a football field, backed by a marching band. I don't know a single professional recording artist who wouldn't agree with me. It's built to fail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newseditor44 said:

I never, at any point, said you didn't like Anna. I think some of us are just tired of hearing about the vocals being an issue. That argument is getting tired.

Singer was a ballsy decision. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Uh, you in fact did say that people hate Anna. Your words.

Most people don't like this execution, and it has little if anything to do with Anna. I used to work in the music business, it is ###### hard to perform on a football field. It takes years of experience and world class electronics to sound even decent. Go watch the documentary of Super Bowl halftimes, its full of #### shows from world class recording artists with decades of experience. It was a fundamentally bad idea to build a show around a non-professional singer on a football field, backed by a marching band. I don't know a single professional recording artist who wouldn't agree with me. It's built to fail.

I don't disagree with you at all on the idea of putting a singer on a Football field. But in terms of it being built to fail, I would say medaling at nationals is anything less than a fail. 

• Like 1

Just now, Newseditor44 said:

I don't disagree with you at all on the idea of putting a singer on a Football field. But in terms of it being built to fail, I would say medaling at nationals is anything less than a fail. 

As I said earlier, much earlier, their execution in brass and drill is saving this show, look at the sheets. Kudos to Crown. 

Ironically, Crown has inadvertently proven their position in the activity with this show. They can medal by virtue of the things that have made them what they are: brass and marching precision.

• Like 1

In fact, I will go even further.

Crown now joins Blue Devils as the only two corps that can medal regardless of their show concept, because their performance and drill execution is going to overcome everything else. Conversely, Bluecoats are proving that they live by the concept, and die by the concept.

Regardless, though, the top six shows this year are each incredible on many, many levels. Most of what we discuss here are differences that lack a distinction.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

As I said earlier, much earlier, their execution in brass and drill is saving this show, look at the sheets. Kudos to Crown. 

Ironically, Crown has inadvertently proven their position in the activity with this show. They can medal by virtue of the things that have made them what they are: brass and marching precision.

If they had the color guard they've had in recent years, we might have a bigger controversy than we do at the moment. That is the only thing keeping them out of reach from the Blue Devils. 

• Singer for just a ballad...I'm somewhat ok with that. 
  • Singer for a ballad-end of show...I'm less ok with that IF it flows.
  • Singer for a ballad-end of show that transitions personalities from sweet/kind to angry, yelling at me for like 4 minutes...NOT ok with that. Sincerely sings "Because I Knew You" and then screams "I KNOW YOU!" minutes later make zero sense.

Side Note: My friend refers to her as the "Obsessed Girlfriend Meme". :laughing:

Edited by snare_guy_83
  • Like 2