A Crowning Metaphor - Crown 2017, It Is?

9 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I actually like the possibility of this theme. .

Having hosted both the Blue Devils and Carolina Crown this year, I have been able to see the rehearsals up close and personal. I might even suggest that the themes of the two shows are eerily similar. The idea that Crown is showing the "Change" of the field is a "Metamorph" into something different.  "It Is" possible that they are the same idea shown in two totally different styles.

Both shows are about change while giving respect to the past.

Or am I way off base?  Either way, I love both shows and am glad there is a good chance that both will medal tomorrow night.

On the nose. And add SCV to the thematic mix. 

• Like 3

Yup, top three are all completely different stylistic takes on the same idea. Crown being a very literal take of drum corps change, SCV being very conceptual, and BD being right in the middle with a huge nod to their personal history and evolution. I love all three.

Edited by defeldus2
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I actually like the possibility of this theme. .

Having hosted both the Blue Devils and Carolina Crown this year, I have been able to see the rehearsals up close and personal. I might even suggest that the themes of the two shows are eerily similar. The idea that Crown is showing the "Change" of the field is a "Metamorph" into something different.  "It Is" possible that they are the same idea shown in two totally different styles.

Both shows are about change while giving respect to the past.

Or am I way off base?  Either way, I love both shows and am glad there is a good chance that both will medal tomorrow night.

I woulld agree with you.   Both shows are about change.   One a lot more literal (BD), the other more cerebral (Crown).   One style not any better than the other.   Sometimes it's nice to sit back and enjoy something without having to devote much thought into it. On the other hand, sometimes it's also nice to see something and consider some of the more hidden messages long after the show has ended.  For the latter, it's those "aha" moments that ties everything together.   That's kind of the purpose for this thread.  There are elements within Crown's show that, understanding the context, message, and representation, provides an even greater appreciation for what the corps is actually conveying on the "Drum Corps Field".

• Like 3

4 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

True. So, the show may be resonating more with fans as the integration of the concept is coming through more apparent to the fans in seats.    What this thread is about, though, is a disussion of the show concept and meaning, now that it has become clearer that the Anna, the vocalist, represents and expresses a metaphor that is important to "getting" the show.  

Quite possibly because Crown's show (as are most of them) is SO MUCH different in person. 

• Like 1

So, now that the season is over and Crown has completed their final deconstruction for 2017, did anyone notice any differences in their final run?  The designers stated the show would continue to evolve all the way through Saturday (confidently expressing they knew what Saturday's show would be from the beginning).  

We saw Anna, the vocalist, seem to disappear after the scatter (back into the field?), replaced by a yard line marker.   Blue and white banners stretch out from the group (any significance of the colors? Colts colors?), while yard marker "0's" are being strewn about the field. This is exactly, from what I can recall, how the show ended on Friday.  I did not notice anything different.

I had hoped for a Crown football helmet tarp to cover the Colts helmet on the 50 yard-line. I still think that would have been an incredible visual and a great way to complete the deconstruction.   Oh, well, there's always 2018 to, once and for all, fully transform Lucas Oil Stadium into a Drum Corps Field. 

• Like 1