DCI "At the Movies" Experience

Amateurish as usual. 

We lost the feed in Birmingham in the middle of the Mandarins. Took to the end of that show to get to it back. 

Then, and this is not the fault of the broadcast, we had a thunderstorm roll through in the middle of the Cavies. The resulting power surge stopped performance at all the screens in the theater. The poor popcorn girl was besieged by theater owners. 

We had about 120 people in our theater. But you couldn't hear the commentary between shows. Bad, bad mixing in the control booth. 

Technically I thought this was one of the weakest Cinecasts - I've gone for the last 7 years to the same location, so have a pretty good idea of what to expect. 

- Terrible audio mix. I think we heard little beyond the front electronics for the first 6-7 groups. It got better, so either they changed something or the higher volume levels of the top groups worked better for their setup.

- Dynamic compression? Everything seemed to be the same volume - full ensemble, soloist, small ensemble, pit only, didn't matter. It all came off the same. Again this got better for the top groups.

- Frequently the announcers were too soft relative to the background stadium sounds. Also the audio missed a bunch of voiceovers and such.

- Weak shot selection, including one time when we seemingly watched the camera operator drop the camera. Definitely not up to the usual quality level here.

Is this something to do with Flo? DCI has done a lot of good work on the Cinecasts and they now draw a solid audience. It's a shame to see them fumble a bit on this one.

1 hour ago, NakedEye said:

Volume was very loud at my usual theater, though the balance issues others have mentioned were present. Couldn't hear Boston's narration at all, and it was muddy/too low for many.

Bigger issue for me was the direction. I thought Blair was doing this again, but it didn't seem to be up to his standard at all. Usually, the cameras are in the right place at the right time 90% of the show, but this was the opposite. Drumlines got major time every time they played, whether it was a featured moment or not, likewise the pit, with very extended shots, even after they had finished playing. Soloist views were up-your-nose close and sometimes from a weird angle, like the cameraman was laying on the ground. Tons of sideline-level work, showing a moving mass of people from a too-low perspective. Shots from the backfield (?) and corners (??).

BD's guard seemed to get the worst of it. Virtually all of the rifle work from the very beginning though Bumblebee gone. Flag feature 90% gone. Most of the wings: gone. The strange thing is, those moments were the major visual points at those particular times, so it wasn't like there was too much to choose from. Instead, lots of closeups of gyrating horn players. 

It all seemed more consistent with Flo's several-month history of poor shot choices than Blair's usual excellence. 

I agree completely!  There were way too many similarities of their horrible shot choices to not be coincidence.  WAYYYYY too much footage of SCV's props and real up close too. SCV and BLOO have the best high cam shows ever.  You have to see them from up high they are that good.  I really find it odd that there was no footage of BDB at all. Rondo and crew make it more than obvious who they would rather not win.  to borrow a talking point from the CC homers b b bbut Our fans were way louder!

1 minute ago, flammaster said:

I agree completely!  There were way too many similarities of their horrible shot choices to not be coincidence.  WAYYYYY too much footage of SCV's props and real up close too. SCV and BLOO have the best high cam shows ever.  You have to see them from up high they are that good.  I really find it odd that there was no footage of BDB at all. Rondo and crew make it more than obvious who they would rather not win.  to borrow a talking point from the CC homers b b bbut Our fans were way louder!

Why would there be footage of BDB? SCVC won this year.

Why then did they show Pioneer, Genesis, Surf but yet no BDB who was the defending champion with 6 straight drum titles.

*not 6 straight last year

Edited by flammaster

2 minutes ago, flammaster said:

hmmmm because they showed everyone else but or were you not there?

In the theater, the only Open Class corps they showed were Vanguard Cadets (because they won Open Class), and Southwind (because they got their footage of Southwind and The Company crossways). They showed the World Class not-top-15 as well.

It's not like they showed Legends and Music City and Spartans too, and not BDB.

EDIT: In response to your last post: because those corps are World Class and BDB isn't. If you want BDB footage, get them promoted.

Edited by ftwdrummer
  • Like 1

Dole Cannery Theater in Honolulu. Start time was at 12:30pm and I got there at 2:30 just in time for the last 9 corps. High school is already in session so there weren't any students unless they ditched class. There were bunch of college kids and others. There were maybe less than 100 people there (i'm not a good estimator). Stream went smooth and audio was good. Bass was too much at times.

No they showed other open class.  Not Spartans BDB and a couple others.  BDB AND  SCVC regularly beat those other "world class " corps come Indy.  

I knew SCVC Could beat BDB early on and so they did.  They deserve it.  A great show. 

They showed most of the corps from earlier that I watched before coming except a few before Vanguard Cadets.  

If they ran out of time why not mention it?

I would also mention it had they done the same to SCVC if they finished 2nd whom I hold deep admiration for. 

10 minutes ago, patrick643 said:

Bass was too much at times.

I found a few had too much synth bass like BK and Bloo but that is their thing.  CC did also and had a very bright over the top pit. Also at times Cavies had heavy synth bass.  Everyone else had more balanced sound.

I also did notice BAC lack of sound in narration.  

I thought it was loud as I like but my theater needs bigger amps to handle that volume at peak levels.