Acoustic Division?

2 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I'd rather see DCI change its name to what it actually is; Fine Arts International.

If they'd stop misrepresenting themselves and ditch the "drum corps" from their letterhead, why, we dinosaurs wouldn't have much to complain about anymore.  

That said, I'd definitely be on board with a drum corps circuit sans George Hopkins and company, with better rules, better priorities, and a better mission.  Aka, drum corps prior to George Hopkins and company sodomizing it.  The only thing preventing that from happening at this very moment is people like Jeff Ream, stu, MikeN, alexL, and oldcadetsop telling fans over and over and over and over again that it's a dumb idea and that it's not possible, like they've been doing on here for years. 

It certainly wouldn't be easy.  Hopkins would do everything in his power to prevent it, and he pulls all the strings in BOA, WGI and DCI, so they would be right behind him shining his boots the whole way.  Band directors would be hostile towards it, as they ever have been.  And one couldn't expect to draw top-tier talent away from DCI, at least right away.  So yeah, it would be a challenge of a lifetime, and you would have to have directors with the backbone to stand up to Hopkins and say "You don't tell us what to do, now stand aside or we're going to march right over you".  But it would be no different than the challenges just about every single DCI corps themselves faced when they formed.  I've helped start two drum and bugle corps in my lifetime, so I know this to be true.  

Right now, that top tier talent only has one option.  And there are thousands upon thousands of additional stellar musicians out there right now who simply can't afford to participate in DCI anymore, along with hundreds of music educators out there who could definitely use the work.   Wouldn't it be nice if THEY had a summer marching activity that focused on keeping costs low and emphasized music education over decimal points on a score sheet?  And wouldn't it be nice if current DCI members who are feeling very apprehensive and self-conscience about the sweeping changes to the activity had another, less expensive option with the potential for the same learning opportunities without having to take ballet lessons?  Despite what you may have been led to believe, money isn't everything in drum corps.  Even so, the money is out there.  It just isn't being spent wisely in DCI today. Start small, and claw your way up.  

Give kids a choice; proud tradition and integrity, or leotards and amplifiers.  Sure, a lot of them would still choose the latter, but I promise you......I PROMISE YOU....there are plenty of kids out there who are hungry, nay, STARVING,  for the former.

As someone who likes a lot of what is on the field today, I agree pretty much word for word with this. I would totally see a Fine Arts International show and probably like it, but I'd kill to have a new tried-and-true drum corps circuit. I see huge potential in marketing the latter as blowing the former out of the water and easily win over potential fans and marchers (despite them having grown up with an anything goes DCI approach).

I believe DCI needs to clearly define amplification versus electronics.  Based on last night's cinecast, I hear way too much synth bass throughout nearly all shows.

Edited by lameisrob

I don't know about starving for "unplugged" corps but this was the slippery slope that was poo poo'ed when they allowed amplification.  There was supposed to be smaller pits...yeah whatever.  It's a taste thing.  I think because this IS a judged activity that this much weight given to something not human, money based is beyond asinine.  But that's my opinion.

4 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

...wasn't this some of the logic behind the G7 secession?

The way the G7 was going to revamp DCI was to give themselves twice the voting power as all other member corps, have most DCI revenue go to the G7 corps, place all other WC Corps in a lower division, have weekend shows just for the G7, and eliminate all DCI support for OC corps, except their own feeder cadet corps of course. So if the G7 had prevailed there would be no OC nor SS.  That was the logic behind the G7.

Edited by Stu

While being thrilled by the performance of the 50th Anniversary Santa Clara Vanguard Alumni Corps just now, I couldn't help but notice how emotional the members of the Vanguard Cadets and Vanguard World Corps were on the sidelines.  Screaming, crying, emotionally & physically willing that memorable performance into being.  A lasting and substantive memory right in front of them.  As per usual, "the kids" can teach us so much, when we pay attention.  They obviously know and love the traditions of their beloved corps, and they see what they themselves are doing as a continuation of the SCV tradition - they're loving what they do independently of bias for what happened in the past.

I could certainly be wrong, but my guess is that if there was such a great desire for retro-corps (in most any form), people would already be doing it.  Within or without the DCI framework.  DCA is now a very legitimate option for high school and college students who don't have the free-time and or $$ for DCI, and they do quite well.  They also seem to willingly support their Alumni Corps.

Ours is a niche activity that combines a volatile mix of teens/young adults with several decades of people who are emotionally attached to their own experiences and tastes.  Every generation of DCI has "ruined it" for the previous one - maybe the newest trends will evolve into something you like better, maybe not.

But it WILL evolve.

Edited by Schnitzel