I'm old.....and so are you. (Maybe)

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

No problems adjusting to new technology and new show designs; but from an organization that claims to be World Class we should never accept horrible quality (like bad sound mix and boom goo that overbears the accoustical instrumentation).

This.  I started following in the 90s and I'm in the rare camp that's excited with the direction Drum Corps is going in... it just needs to be done right.  For instance, people have made plenty of comments about Bloo's 28 speakers on the field, but we're OK with sound effects coming through two channels facing only the 50?

I love me some 90s/early 2000s drum corps, but I'm far more excited about where we are heading.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

No problems adjusting to new technology and new show designs; but from an organization that claims to be World Class we should never accept horrible quality (like bad sound mix and boom goo that overbears the accoustical instrumentation).

What was the reasoning for Trombones? Why was that necessary? They look bad on the field. They offer...not much...other than now everyone has to have the obligatory trombone feature. What's the value add there, other than simply change?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Musicman1084 said:

This.  I started following in the 90s and I'm in the rare camp that's excited with the direction Drum Corps is going in... it just needs to be done right.  For instance, people have made plenty of comments about Bloo's 28 speakers on the field, but we're OK with sound effects coming through two channels facing only the 50?

I love me some 90s/early 2000s drum corps, but I'm far more excited about where we are heading.

It takes professional sound engineers many hours of sound checks to get stuff right for a single rock concert at Lucas. Last night I timed the intervals between shows. They were averaging 4-1/2 min from the last note of one corps to the first note of the next with all new sound set ups for each corps. Just sayin'.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StunnedMonkey said:

What was the reasoning for Trombones? Why was that necessary? They look bad on the field. They offer...not much...other than now everyone has to have the obligatory trombone feature. What's the value add there, other than simply change?

Show me a way a person can do a high quality 'smooth' glissando on a two valved G Baritone and I will be right there with ya!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Show me a way a person can do a high quality 'smooth' glissando on a two valved G Baritone and I will be right there with ya!!!

I didn't know we needed smooth glissandos in drum corp. The use of them in DCI comes off as gimmicky and cheesy. There are lots of things that can't be produced on valved instruments...which is why I suppose someday we'll see saxophones and so forth. Oh well. :guinesssmilie:

Edited by StunnedMonkey
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, StunnedMonkey said:

I didn't know we needed smooth glissandos in drum corp. The use of them in DCI comes off as gimmicky and cheesy. There are lots of things that can't be produced on valved instruments...which is why I suppose someday we'll see saxophones and so forth. Oh well. :guinesssmilie:

If that is your reasoning, here is an exact same type of question: Why do we need Marimbas in a 'Drum' and Bugle Corps?

• Like 1

"Show me a way a person can do a high quality 'smooth' glissando on a two valved G Baritone and I will be right there with ya!!!"

Madison 96.  Bolero.  The number of valves are irrelevant.

Edited by Bobby L. Collins

Look, I'm "old" too. Started watching drum corps in the early 70's, started marching in the early 80's, last marched competitively in the early 90's, did an alumni corps for a season in about '05, honor guard for three years starting in 2010. Don't like everything about drum corps today, but that's OK. Still enjoyed the bejeezus out of SOA, PC, Mandarins, and Blue Stars in Allentown last week. Even managed to enjoy Pioneer's vocalist (She IS quite good, after all). But the most astonishing thing to me, and to maybe some other dinos like me, is, and I've considered this very seriously: I have NEVER been as emotionally engaged by a show, and the amazing level at which it's performed, as I was by Blue Devils last Friday night!

So I complain about everybody doing the same body moves, I gripe about mic'd brass soloists, I lament the loss of the G power of the likes of 70's/80's SOA, 80's Suncoast Sound, etc. But I can still be touched to my core by an excellent drum corps performing their brains out the same was I was at seven years old watching my grandfather's all-time favorite Caballeros with him.

• Like 1