I'm old.....and so are you. (Maybe)

27 minutes ago, StunnedMonkey said:

I'll tell you this, I can do without them on the Flo Marching feed. :blink:

But in that situation it is the lack of quality of the internet feed, not the instruments being played wonderfully well. :innocent:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

"Show me a way a person can do a high quality 'smooth' glissando on a two valved G Baritone and I will be right there with ya!!!"

Madison 96.  Bolero.  The number of valves are irrelevant.

I do not have to listen to know that valved brass cannot do a seven-position single partial smooth glissando like a slide trombone.  However, so that you do not accuse me of also lying about that, I just listened to the ’96 Madison show; twice.. The first time with my Klipsch Speakers and the second with my Sennheiser Head Phones  There was some great melodic slurring being produced from note to note by the horn line in Bolero; that is true.  But nowhere did I hear a smooth seven-position single partial glissando; which is a different animal than melodic slurring. So, maybe you will say that I am lying about my speakers, or lying about my head phones, or lying about listening to the show; quite frankly I no longer care about your accusations.  But everyone will know this: Your 'Madison Bolero' example does have wonderful slurring technique, but it does not support the position that brass valve instruments can indeed produce the same type of smooth large slide glissando that a slide trombone can produce.

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, StunnedMonkey said:

The use of them [trombones] in DCI comes off as gimmicky and cheesy.

Do not be so stunned there monkey!!! You just have to accept that from the Crossmen Superman appearance in the seventies, to the names of some Modern Hybrid Snare Drum Licks post Y2K, the activity of DCI has always been, and likely will always will be, 'cheesy'.

Edited by Stu

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Do not be so stunned there monkey!!! You just have to accept that from the Crossmen Superman appearance in the seventies, to the names of some Modern Hybrid Snare Drum Licks post Y2K, the activity of DCI has always been, and likely will always will be, 'cheesy'.

I think the Crossmen did Superman/Jack Miraculous in 1980. So the '70's are still pure. :sigh:

Edited by StunnedMonkey

6 minutes ago, StunnedMonkey said:

I think the Crossmen did Superman in 1980. :sigh:

The music of Superman first appeared in a Crossmen show in ’79. I think that the figure in tights might have not appeared until ’80.

Also, the 'gimmicks' of the Bridgemen started in the seventies; but they were bananas not cheese!!! :thumbup:

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

The music of Superman first appeared in a Crossmen show in ’79. I think that the figure in tights might have not appeared until ’80.

Also, the 'gimmicks' of the Bridgemen started in the seventies; but they were bananas not cheese!!! :thumbup:

Maybe, but the 79 Crossmen missed finals so they were appropriately punished for the cheese. And the Bridgemen? Well, pagliacci, Harlem nocturne, Spanish dreams equal Free Pass. 1970's purity lives. :thumbs-up:

Rose Bowl floats could look much better without those silly vegetation-only rules.

Lego art could have a lot more variety if you slapped something other than legos on them.

Nascar could get rid of those silly restricter plate rules.

Constantly "adding to the tool box" does not necessarily increase "creativity".

We would never have heard "Miss Saigon" helicopters via the use of broken loose bass heads if we had a sound sample.

Although not "exactly" a trombone glissando, that sound was close enough for the effect.

Ken Norman's "bagpipe" sound out of Kilties brass was an awesome demonstration of creativity using the existing set of bricks.

Same for automobiles honking for NY Skyliners and later Bridgemen.

2 hours ago, grenadasmoothie said:

Look, I'm "old" too. Started watching drum corps in the early 70's, started marching in the early 80's, last marched competitively in the early 90's, did an alumni corps for a season in about '05, honor guard for three years starting in 2010. Don't like everything about drum corps today, but that's OK. Still enjoyed the bejeezus out of SOA, PC, Mandarins, and Blue Stars in Allentown last week. Even managed to enjoy Pioneer's vocalist (She IS quite good, after all). But the most astonishing thing to me, and to maybe some other dinos like me, is, and I've considered this very seriously: I have NEVER been as emotionally engaged by a show, and the amazing level at which it's performed, as I was by Blue Devils last Friday night!

So I complain about everybody doing the same body moves, I gripe about mic'd brass soloists, I lament the loss of the G power of the likes of 70's/80's SOA, 80's Suncoast Sound, etc. But I can still be touched to my core by an excellent drum corps performing their brains out the same was I was at seven years old watching my grandfather's all-time favorite Caballeros with him.

Absolutely.  I loved Suncoast Sound (had a friend from Ocean Springs in that wonderful brass line.....the Original poster will know where that is) and never thought I would see a show that grabbed me more than BD 86.  (my first finals in person)  However this BD show has reached a new height for me.

• Like 2

I never marched in a drum corps, so I'm just a musician and fan.  Listening this year to both Open Class and World Class, I was so entertained, musically engaged and moved by many of the corps.  I think if everyone did the same style and no one branched out to try different things, I might have gotten a little bored listening hour after hour.  But instead I got to hear Kanye West, Shostakovich, Mad Max/tribal wildness, rich and thick symphonic brass, Broadway, cute and humorous shows with classical and even peace era/folk tunes, high end brass ensembles, every stripe of percussion forms you could think of - a wild variety of music, a plethora of styles, a smorgasbord of food for the soul.  Even in Open Class, I think there were 2 corps that made good use of trombones and I loved the sound!  Trombones add another texture of sound.  So my vote is - let's turn these bright, young, creative souls loose and hang on to our horses!

• Like 3