I'm old.....and so are you. (Maybe)

50 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

Nascar could get rid of those silly restricter plate rules.

Interesting that you mentioned NASCAR; because the S and C within the acronym stand for Stock Car; and there has been absolutely nothing ‘stock’ in the sport since the late sixties or early seventies.  The vehicles today do not have stock anything; not even a lug nut is stock; the cars are 100% built as a pure-bread racing vehicles from the ground up; and again it has been that way for over forty years. But as a NASCAR fan I have no desire whatsoever to revert the rules back to the 1950's to make this a 'Stock' Car activity again, or for that matter go back to the rules of the '60s, '70' '80s, or '90s.  And this relates to DCI in this manner....

Once xylophones, for example, were added to a ‘Drum’ Corps, the activity began going down the same morphing road as did NASCAR.  Xylophones are not ‘drums’; the history of the instrument and etymology of a xylophone shows that they never were ‘drums’; and this is not a Percussion and Bugle Corps activity nor is the organization called Percussion Corps International;  but called what?  Oh yeah, ‘Drum’ and Bugle Corps and ‘Drum’ Corps International.

So, we can debate what changes are and are not good for the DCI activity.  But, when anyone in this activity says something akin to: “We need to go back to when men were men and sheep were scared” I counter with this argument.  So, thanks for bringing up NASCAR!!!

Important note: The Restrictor-Plates were added for safety, not competition

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I do not have to listen to know that valved brass cannot do a seven-position single partial smooth glissando like a slide trombone.  However, so that you do not accuse me of also lying about that, I just listened to the ’96 Madison show; twice.. The first time with my Klipsch Speakers and the second with my Sennheiser Head Phones  There was some great melodic slurring being produced from note to note by the horn line in Bolero; that is true.  But nowhere did I hear a smooth seven-position single partial glissando; which is a different animal than melodic slurring. So, maybe you will say that I am lying about my speakers, or lying about my head phones, or lying about listening to the show; quite frankly I no longer care about your accusations.  But everyone will know this: Your 'Madison Bolero' example does have wonderful slurring technique, but it does not support the position that brass valve instruments can indeed produce the same type of smooth large slide glissando that a slide trombone can produce.

Well there's your problem!  

My Maggies and their Bryston drivers eat "Klips" for lunch AND dinner!

But I still didn't hear a smooth gliss in Madison's '96 show. 

This was your parameter.

"Show me a way a person can do a high quality 'smooth' glissando on a two valved G Baritone and I will be right there with ya!!!"

I supplied you with an example.  And once provided with said example, you up and changed the parameter, thinking no one would notice. 

Anyway, it's called a pitch bend.  A pitch bend IS a glissando.   No, it doesn't go from seventh position to first position, but again, that wasn't the example you were fishing for originally.  Lots of corps did it for years prior to trombones being allowed to stand on the sidelines and emote. Today, synthesizers and pre-recorded samples do them while the baritones dance and stare at their hands.

Stu, you and I are going to have to come to an understanding real fast.  You're not going to get my goat like you do other people on here.  I'm smarter than you, and I know more about drum corps than you.  I figured that out within 20 minutes of conversing with you yesterday, and reading some of the shockingly ignorant stuff you were spewing, and continue to spew..  I thought it was weird how I received 2 private messages yesterday saying "Don't bother trying to have a rational conversation with stu, he's a know-it-all that doesn't really know anything", but now I get it.  You're just a contrarian who wants to "win" the internet and get in the last word.  I told you earlier you haven't seen snark yet, and you still haven't.  But as long as I'm going to have to accept that you're consuming precious oxygen and maintaining a disproportionate carbon footprint on this Earth, you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that this "rook" has got your number.  

DON'T.  TALK.  BOLLOCKS.

Edited by Bobby L. Collins

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Well there's your problem!  

My Maggies and their Bryston drivers eat "Klips" for lunch AND dinner!

But I still didn't hear a smooth gliss in Madison's '96 show. 

Audiophiles Salute!!!  Nice to know some are still around!  However, I am no longer a crazy young man; Vintage Levinsons, gone; Wadia, gone.  I do have some residual stuff though like my secondary speakers which are vintage Klipsch Heresy’s.  And, I am pretty sure those grossly inferior ‘klippers’ to your magnificent fine furniture would have picked up a seven-position single partial glissando in the Scouts ’96 show; if it was there at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

This was your parameter.

"Show me a way a person can do a high quality 'smooth' glissando on a two valved G Baritone and I will be right there with ya!!!"

I supplied you with an example.  And once provided with said example, you up and changed the parameter, thinking no one would notice. 

Anyway, it's called a pitch bend.  A pitch bend IS a glissando.   No, it doesn't go from seventh position to first position, but again, that wasn't the example you were fishing for originally.  Lots of corps did it for years prior to trombones being allowed to stand on the sidelines and emote. Today, synthesizers and pre-recorded samples do them while the baritones dance and stare at their hands.

Stu, you and I are going to have to come to an understanding real fast.  You're not going to get my goat like you do other people on here.  I'm smarter than you, and I know more about drum corps than you.  I figured that out within 20 minutes of conversing with you yesterday, and reading some of the shockingly ignorant stuff you were spewing, and continue to spew..  I thought it was weird how I received 2 private messages yesterday saying "Don't bother trying to have a rational conversation with stu, he's a know-it-all that doesn't really know anything", but now I get it.  You're just a contrarian who wants to "win" the internet and get in the last word.  I told you earlier you haven't seen snark yet, and you still haven't.  But as long as I'm going to have to accept that you're consuming precious oxygen and maintaining a disproportionate carbon footprint on this Earth, you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that this "rook" has got your number.  

DON'T.  TALK.  BOLLOCKS.

Dude, or dude-ette, ya just can't tell these days.  If you really are as smart as you say that you are you knew exactly that, in context, what I wrote about a gliss was specifically directed at the word 'trombone' in the quoted response from StunnedMonkey, and what was/is meant by a gliss in that contextwas not a pitch-bend, not slurring, but a 'trombone' gliss (or are you lying and not really smart enough to see the context, hmmmm).  Anyway, if you want to play the game of 'getting my number', of calling me names, and say I am taking up space and oxygen, go ahead; I am more than happy to continue laughing at your comic relief while also getting some relief sitting on a porcelain throne.  The same way I read Bizarro or Non-Sequitur from the funny papers.  Oh, and I'm old... and so are you (maybe).

Edited by Stu