I'm old.....and so are you. (Maybe)

I think it has finally happened. I've turned into the guy who wishes drum corps would be what it used to be when I marched. Not that I don't like what's happening on the field with Bluecoats, Crown, BD, etc, but the emphasis on, dare I say, show band style design ideas has me wanting some straightforward, in your face, minimal props, bad@ss drum corps. 

Music in Motion has been mentioned in The Cadets thread and I miss it. The performances are top notch, and I'll never stop going to shows, but d@mmit, I wanna see the above mentioned drum corps take the field (with helmets, shakos, etc) and throw down a show that just lets the crowd know what drum corps really was "back in the day."

Will it happen? Who knows? Is this latest incarnation of DCI just an experiment? Once again, who knows? I like it, but I liked the old stuff better. 

$.02, get off my lawn.....my blood will get all worked up.!!!!

Edited by fireshane1
  • Like 4

I would just tag this onto the A&E thread. Same issues being discussed there. 

1 minute ago, fireshane1 said:

I think it has finally happened. I've turned into the guy who wishes drum corps is what it used to be when I marched. 

Will it happen? 

No. Either you learn to adjust or you find something else to do. These have been the only 2 options since like forever.

• Like 1

No, it won't happen. It gets further away every year. The genie is out of the bottle. The horse is out of the barn. The toothpaste is out of the tube. Elvis has left the building. The horse is dead. The milk is spilled. Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead. I'll stop.

Edited by StunnedMonkey
  • Like 2

i was...then i grew to love it again because i stopped being closed minded

• Like 4

^ I'm with Jeff. There is hope for you. I was there in the late-90's. The activity didn't go back. I just got over it. Then it all washed away. 

Bring it on. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

No. Either you learn to adjust or you find something else to do. These have been the only 2 options since like forever.

Agreed. And I think anyone who loves the idea of what drum corps is has to learn to adjust. Drum corps is more than what's on the field, it's the every day struggle of what the individual corps go through to put the production on the field, and the coming of age experience for the MM's. 

I was just simply remarking that I wish the trend would revert back to a time when it was just music and movement. I know it'll never go back to that, and that's okay. Just a commentary on my transition to dinosaur status than anything else.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, StunnedMonkey said:

No, it won't happen. It gets further away every year. The genie is out of the bottle. The horse is out of the barn. The toothpaste is out of the tube. Elvis has left the building. The horse is dead. The milk is spilled. Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead. I'll stop.

I am 'stunned'; a 'monkey' spouting off cliches; great trick!!! :bleah:

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i was...then i grew to love it again because i stopped being closed minded

I don't think "closed minded" is a fair term to use. Not caring for some particular thing, or more specifically missing something that is gone, doesn't make someone closed minded. Even the most open minds can't like everything. Like say, tractor pulls. Or monster trucks.

I get the OP's lament. I watched my first live shows in the late 70's. There are some things I find to like in some shows today, but yeah, I sure do miss a horn impact so powerful you felt it in your chest, or the sound of soprano soloist soaring over the ensemble. It was a visceral experience, as opposed to today's cerebral experience. It was screaming with clenched fists in the air at a rock concert, vs reading a libretto in a concert hall and whispering quietly about the fine tone of the oboe soloist.

Neither is better. It's just a preference. 

Like I said, I've liked a few shows in recent years. Some a lot, actually. But then again it's not quite the same feeling I had when corps just blew you away.

Edited by StunnedMonkey
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

No problems adjusting to new technology and new show designs; but from an organization that claims to be World Class we should never accept horrible quality (like bad sound mix and boom goo that overbears the accoustical instrumentation).

• Like 3