Retreat in Traditional Uniforms

4 hours ago, lameisrob said:

Haven't Cavies done this the past two years?

Cavies had a specific parade uniform then. They wore the green one for all their parades and at retreat.

Allow me to be Mr. Poopy-pants:

1. Who's gonna pay for the truck to haul 150 uniforms around for an entire season that will be worn once? Or even just to haul them to Indy during finals week? I've got far more critical places to put my scarce corps operating dollars during the most cash-starved time of the year.

2. What is "traditional" anyway? Can it be only the uniform worn on Day 1 of the corps' existence? Or is it the uni worn during our glory days? BTW, whose glory days are we talking about -- the WWII generation who won the VFW Nationals, the boomers, the GenXers, the millennials? Who's "classic uni" becomes the classic uni? And how many of these BITD uniforms to do we have in storage, anyway? Who's going to rip out the seams and re-fit them, every year for this one night of the season? Or do we have to go out and buy a full set of classic, traditional, wool, embroidered unis, with shakos to match? Who's up for a capital campaign?

3. Did anyone ask the members? The ones who are paying the bills around here? Does a current member of the Crossmen, born and raised in Texas, event want to wear the old cape form the Pennsylvania days? Does a member of the Bluecoats even think that a wool shroud and helmet from the Canton PD days even represents who they are today? And while every marching member appreciates their corps' history, why is it automatic that it is today's members who ought to pay homage to where the corps has been? Why is it not the alums who get together and show up at finals, sitting in a block, every one of them wearing shirts that replicate today's uniforms? Why isn't the reflex to celebrate where the corps is, and where it is going?

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

Vanguard better have their aussies, that's all I'm saying. An SCV retreat with a bunch of bright eyes looking up at the crowd is borderline sacrilegious. 

If anyone is still wondering where their aussies have been all season just remember the alumni corps from last night.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Allow me to be Mr. Poopy-pants:

1. Who's gonna pay for the truck to haul 150 uniforms around for an entire season that will be worn once? Or even just to haul them to Indy during finals week? I've got far more critical places to put my scarce corps operating dollars during the most cash-starved time of the year.

2. What is "traditional" anyway? Can it be only the uniform worn on Day 1 of the corps' existence? Or is it the uni worn during our glory days? BTW, whose glory days are we talking about -- the WWI generation, the boomers, the GenXers, the millennials? Who's "classic uni" becomes the classic uni? And how many of these BITD uniforms to do we have in storage, anyway? Who's going to rip out the seams and re-fit them, every year for this one night of the season? Or do we have to go out and buy a full set of classic, traditional, wool, embroidered unis, with shakos to match? Who's up for a capital campaign?

3. Did anyone ask the members? The ones who are paying the bills around here? Does a current member of the Crossmen, born and raised in Texas, event want to wear the old cape form the Pennsylvania days? Does a member of the Bluecoats even think that a wool shroud and helmet from the Canton PD days even represents who they are today? And while every marching member appreciates their corps' history, why is it automatic that it is today's members who ought to pay homage to where the corps has been? Why is it not the alums who get together and show up at finals, sitting in a block, every one of them wearing shirts that replicate today's uniforms? Why isn't the reflex to celebrate where the corps is, and where it is going?

Because where it's going is down a road that a lot of us can not and will not travel.

Uniform design should not be up to current members of any corps.  Otherwise, you get precisely what you have now; Underoos.

Now I understand your point is that there shouldn't be two uniforms, and I agree.  There should be one uniform.  But that one uniform shouldn't be a humiliating misrepresentation of the activity and all it stands for.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

Why not? With the evolution of shows in the future going towards costumes, etc. I think it be awesome to see corps coming out to the retreat in their traditional uniforms. Would be such a salute to each corps' tradition and history. Heck corps could use those uniforms for a parade and other noncompetitive DCI events, so the expense could be justified. Any thoughts?

I brought this up last year in regards to Cadets M&G - and the suggestion was completely ignored

Alumni/fans could fund a "campaign" to sponsor a second set of uniforms used for special events, parades/concerts and yes - retreat

Cadets marching out of finals in their traditional M&G would be so cool - and really connect the corps to it's history

Others could do the same

Because this set of uniforms would be used very lightly the would last quite long (10 years) so the cost would be spread out over many seasons and be quite practical

I also agree with others about the aussies for SCV - a no brainer I hope is realized tonight

Finally - corps which have completely abandoned their traditional look (I'm thinking Boston for example) have lost something - whether they realize it right now or not. JMO

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Because where it's going is down a road that a lot of us can not and will not travel.

Uniform design should not be up to current members of any corps.  Otherwise, you get precisely what you have now; Underoos.

Now I understand your point is that there shouldn't be two uniforms, and I agree.  There should be one uniform.  But that one uniform shouldn't be a humiliating misrepresentation of the activity and all it stands for.

I assume you wear this to the beach?  It is the classic after all.

Arne-Borg-Swim-World-Record-holder-in-th

Edited by gadaveb2003
  • Like 1

I would love it, but which traditional uniform? If you take Boston Crusaders and their red and black, there was the 2014-16 version, a previous uniform that spanned about 8 years, and one before thst that spanned about ten years, etc. I may have the time frames wrong, and if I look at my old photos I've taken at shows, I would be more on the money, but even back in the day, uniforms changed. Not at today's rapid rate, but they still changed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I would love it, but which traditional uniform? If you take Boston Crusaders and their red and black, there was the 2014-16 version, a previous uniform that spanned about 8 years, and one before thst that spanned about ten years, etc. I may have the time frames wrong, and if I look at my old photos I've taken at shows, I would be more on the money, but even back in the day, uniforms changed. Not at today's rapid rate, but they still changed.

I guess in theory it would be at the corps discretion. They can be interactive and make it a fan vote or a vote internally with the alumni. Cadets would be easier. Blue Devils, my personal favorite is 90-93 era, Crown would the Star uniform from 93 (j/k) SCV (1989), and so on.

2 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

If, by "us," you mean current marching members and those planning to audition, then we have a basis for further discussion. Otherwise, whatever lines in the sand old guys like me may draw are of little consequence. Simply put, we are not the customer. We buy tickets, T-shirts and DVDs, but audition and tuition fees are the center of financial gravity on just about every drum corps' income statement.

Members don't decide on the corps uniform, and I certainly am not proposing such an idea. None of the kids in Cadets knew, when they were handed a contract in December, that they would be wearing choir robes in June. It's not the kids who are deciding they should wear Underoos; it's the grown-ups.

One man's misrepresentation of the activity is another's cool uniform. As far as I'm aware, the members of the Blue Knights are perfectly happy in the threads they were issued this season. If BK went back to cadet unis with shakos next year, my guess is that the members would be cool with that, too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

we are not the customer. We buy tickets, T-shirts and DVDs

That is the very definition of a customer.