Retreat in Traditional Uniforms

3 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

That is the very definition of a customer. 

Precisely. We are a customer. We are not the customer.

Look at any corps' mission statement. Each one of them exists for the development of youth. None of them exist to sell us a ticket.

Of course it is a virtuous circle. But that circle starts with the marching member. They are the focus of the mission, and they also throw the most weight on the corps' bottom line.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

36 minutes ago, gadaveb2003 said:

I assume you wear this to the beach?  It is the classic after all.

Certainly not.

But if I wanted to, I could do so without having to pay $4,000.00 to look just as ridiculous.

Seriously, why would you link something that looks more like what they wear today?  I get what you were going for, but.....bad example.

3 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Precisely. We are a customer. We are not the customer.

Look at any corps' mission statement. Each one of them exists for the development of youth. None of them exist to sell us a ticket.

Of course it is a virtuous circle. But that circle starts with the marching member. They are the focus of the mission, and they also throw the most weight on the corps' bottom line.

But without those tickets......

49 minutes ago, gadaveb2003 said:

I assume you wear this to the beach?  It is the classic after all.

Arne-Borg-Swim-World-Record-holder-in-th

Looks exactly like what's on the field today!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

Looks exactly like what's on the field today!

Yeah I'm still kind of scratching my head about that.

I know at least one corps that is selling their last traditional uniforms as memorabilia.  No saving those!  

I agree - let's not do away with traditional unis entirely - and please not the headgear.  I much prefer the look of a shako, helmet, aussie, even a bowler.  Anything but a bare head!

6 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

I know at least one corps that is selling their last traditional uniforms as memorabilia.  No saving those!  

I agree - let's not do away with traditional unis entirely - and please not the headgear.  I much prefer the look of a shako, helmet, aussie, even a bowler.  Anything but a bare head!

Well, it's just so hard for members to express their individuality and draw attention to themselves on the field by winking, pulling faces in the front ensemble, and emoting that look of desperate longing and pathos.....with all that pesky headgear in the way.  

Anyway, it cuts costs so they can invest in louder speakers and tighter leotards.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 3:33 PM, Bobby L. Collins said:

But without those tickets......

As I said: a circle. But Don Warren didn't hand bugles to the boys in Troop 111 because he wanted to sell records.

You need a solid business plan to run a world-class drum corps these days. The money is vital. But the money is the fuel; it's not the cause. The cause is the members in the ranks; the cause is the members' formation into adults, the cause is the members' growth, the cause is the members' experience; the cause is what motivates the staff, the boards of directors, the volunteer cooks, and the fans in the stands. If the corps could provide the DCI experience to young people without having to sell a single ticket, they would.

Us fans are the beneficiaries of the cause. We help to sustain it with our money. But our happiness is a byproduct, not the aim, and anyway our money is not the primary contributor to the top line on the income statement.

Cool idea, but the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Double sewing time, double uniform storage, double cost in some cases.

That said, the Cavaliers in 16 are a good example. I like the idea of a show-specific uniform that's modular to be more traditional when needed, like in parades.

Parades have to be interesting with extremely-show-specific uniforms. Did Cadets do any parades this season? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ouooga said:

Cool idea, but the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Double sewing time, double uniform storage, double cost in some cases.

That said, the Cavaliers in 16 are a good example. I like the idea of a show-specific uniform that's modular to be more traditional when needed, like in parades.

^^^ Perfectly stated.  There are also alterations... MMs tend to lose (or sometimes gain) weight during the season... not to mention, many are still growing, in height, at that age.