Santa Clara Alumni Corps

54 minutes ago, mikekhs said:

Loved it!

My wife and I were calling out the selections and then the years. Finally just stood the whole time.

Three questions...

1. The couple dancing during the Phantom pieces. Was that "Her" from 89? I think so.

2. The solo rim shot in Send In The Clowns. Meant as a tribute to? Gail? Played by Allan Kristensen (chosen by rest of the snare line) - it was part of the show when they played clowns back in the 70's.

3. Was Hardimon involved at all? (don't know)

Well done Vanguard!

Mike

• Like 1

Two words for all 50 years of SCV:

thank you

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

When the guard started lining up to bottle dance I legit lost my cool.

That.  We all knew it was coming but when they lined it up it was like AAHHHHHHHHHHH!  

Then we all knew they were gonna close with Send in the Clowns.  And yet.  OMG the feels.

• Like 2

After finals, I had the good fortune of meeting front ensemble member Rick Jones at the Indy Megabus stop Sunday at 2AM.  Turns out, we were both on the 2:35 red eye to Chicago.

Rick has a flight today back to California out of O'Hare.

Rick is the guy who played the colorful bird whistles in the breath-taking Alumni performances.

"I had never played one before," admitted Rick.  "I played marching timpani back in the 70s.

"My picture is up at the hall on Space Park, as are hundreds and hundreds of others."

The Alumni set up deluxe air mattresses in one large coed arena at the 4-H fairgrounds in Danville, west of I-465 on Monday, August 7, and put in over 40 hours of rehearsal.

Rick beamed with Vanguard pride about meeting old friends and the current members.

"It's not about winning," remarked Rick when he headed down memory lane.

"It's all about obtaining achievement."

• Like 2

Definitely choked up my wife and me watching it on YouTube.  Look, "Send In The Clowns" is Vanguard's song - nobody else can ever play that piece, but I truly believe it's an anthem for all of drum corps - especially those of us who were around back in the day to see SCV when they played it on the field. That music goes right through you, and you remember...

Thank you, SCVAC - we're not worthy, but we're all worthy.

• Like 1

It was a truly magical moment.  Thank you SCV Alumni.  What a thrill to see the jr coros and all the age outs just go crazy for the performance.  A powerful reminder of the amazing ability for melody driven drum corps to excite all generations.

Harvey

• Like 2

Send in the Clowns was the first piece I learned in high school. I never would've dreamt it would lead me to marching dci and then to continue to follow years later. 

• Like 2