2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

My final predictions for tonight:

1. BD - They'll be firing on all cylinders. They may take only one caption award, but you can count on them to leave everything they've got on the field every Finals night. 98.938, Don Angelica Award for Best GE.

2. SCV - I would love to see them win it all tonight, but I'm afraid they won't be able to close the gap in GE. 98.650, George Zingali Award for Best Color Guard, John Brazale Award for Best Visual Performance, Fred Sanford Award for Best Percussion Performance.

3. Carolina Crown - They'll definitely win the Ott, and a high percussion score could put them 1st in Music overall, but visually they have suffered all season, especially in guard. Regardless, they exceeded my expectations this year and will receive the Bronze. 97.525, Jim Ott Award for Best Brass Performance.

4. Bluecoats - This was a tough one, as I feel that the Cavaliers are cleaner but the Bluecoats' show has more GE. But the Bluecoats have done a great job of not giving up placements in recent years. 95.913.

5. The Cavaliers - Visually, this show is a BLAST, but musically, I can't get into it at all except for the Strauss/Copland opener. But no doubt they'll have a great performance tonight. 95.425.

6. Boston Crusaders - They'll be solidly in 6th overall, but will once again place in the Top 3 in colorguard. What a season they've had. There's no doubt they will light up the crowd tonight. 94.388.

7. The Cadets - I personally dislike the show, but there are tons of people who thought this show grew on them from the beginning of the season until now. I doubt BK will pass them, even though I like their show more. 92.875.

8. Blue Knights - The placement may not say it, but this is one of the most stunning spectacles of the year. Again, I don't think they'll pass Cadets, but I'll be happy to eat crow if I'm proven wrong. 91.900.

9. Phantom Regiment - They'll put on a great performance tonight and break 90. They've gotten a lot of hate this season for elements out of their control, but at this point it is what it is and I hope everyone watching will find something to like. 90.350.

10. Blue Stars - Good performance numbers tonight will keep them on top of the Crossmen. 89.075.

11. Crossmen - I'm in the minority in that I liked Continuum more, but I think they'll be solid again tonight, although they still won't catch the Blue Stars. 88.913.

12. Madison Scouts - They'll just be happy to be back in the Saturday Night club while also achieving the highest 12th place Finals score ever. 86.875.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

2. SCV - I would love to see them win it all tonight, but I'm afraid they won't be able to close the gap in GE. 98.650, George Zingali Award for Best Color Guard, John Brazale Award for Best Visual Performance, Fred Sanford Award for Best Percussion Performance.

While I like the way you are thinking, I'm not sure if the Visual caption is within reach.

Blue Devils won 29.425 to 29.3 at Prelims and 29.375 to 29.225 at Semis for an average of 29.4 to 29.2625. If my math is right, that means Santa Clara Vanguard would have to beat them by 0.275 in the caption tonight just to tie and that seems unlikely to me.

This assumes that guard is included in the Visual Caption for this award although I don't know for sure if that's the case.

Wishing For:
1. Santa Clara Vanguard
2. Blue Devils
3. Carolina Crown
4. Bluecoats
5. Cavaliers
6. Boston Crusaders
7. Cadets
8. Blue Knights
9. Blue Stars
10. Phantom Regiment
11. Crossmen
12. Madison Scouts

Reality:
1. Blue Devils
2. Santa Clara Vanguard
3. Carolina Crown
4. Bluecoats
5. Cavaliers
6. Boston Crusaders
7. Cadets
8. Blue Knights
9. Phantom Regiment
10. Blue Stars
11. Crossmen
12. Madison Scouts

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

While I like the way you are thinking, I'm not sure if the Visual caption is within reach.

Blue Devils won 29.425 to 29.3 at Prelims and 29.375 to 29.225 at Semis for an average of 29.4 to 29.2625. If my math is right, that means Santa Clara Vanguard would have to beat them by 0.275 in the caption tonight just to tie and that seems unlikely to me.

This assumes that guard is included in the Visual Caption for this award although I don't know for sure if that's the case.

The Brazale is just Visual Proficiency. Vanguard currently leads the average, 19.5 to 19.45.

Just now, ftwdrummer said:

The Brazale is just Visual Proficiency. Vanguard currently leads the average, 19.5 to 19.45.

Awesome! Thanks for that clarification. Does that mean music takes out brass/percussion too, then?

As far as placements, I would say the only one that is in any kind of question would be Cadets vs Knights. And I don't think it's much of a question. The semifinal placements are exactly what will happen tonight.