2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

Fantastic DCI Finals overall!  Congrats to all the marching members. You were all amazing and put on your best performances.  Here is a quick synopsis of my thoughts.

Madison Scouts - Excellent brass sound. Really got into the music. Was never sure about what I should be looking at or viewing visually. Sometimes just too much going on. Overall a mature sounding corps that with the right product will excel I believe. 

Crossmen - one of my favorite music books of the summer. Incredible control in the brass. Guard was wonderful and what a fantastic snare line. 

Blue Stars - LOVE the music, the drill was amazing and very demanding, and overall this was one of the more emotional shows for me. 

Phantom Regiment - You guys rocked the house. Most improved corps of the year. That closer...OH MY GOODNESS! I was in love tonight. Classic Phantom!!

Blue Knights - Loved the color of this show. Your brass is seriously one of the better lines on the field this summer...and percussion was no slouch. Visually maybe not my favorite BK show, but the ending was fantastic with those flags. 

The Cadets - One of my favorite shows of the summer. Here is another corps that started slow and finally found their swagger and took off. Scoring aside this was a fantastic show with serious GE and a killer ending! Bravo!

Boston Crusaders - Holy cow were you guys clean and the sound of the music ensemble was outstanding! Loved the guard, enjoyed the theme, and you get the award for best use of a prop. Certainly the most deadly use of a prop. 

Cavaliers - You get my crazy, zany visual award. Visually this show was stunning and marched incredibly well. Fabulous guard. Music ensemble was very good, but I did not care for the music construction. To choppy for my taste, and the closer was an odd mashup.  However, you want to talk about a corps selling their show. These guys did. Bravo!

Bluecoats - This is what I call a high-energy show. Some killer GE moments and mighty tasty playing and marching. Solos were on tonight. I did hear some metallic sounds with the mic use, but that was coming from my Flo cast, so who knows what was really heard in the stadium. Thought the trombone solo sounded really tinty and metallic. Again, not the player but possibly the mics.  Maybe someone that was there can confirm. 

Carolina Crown - What an amazing brass intro!! All season long this was my favorite intro. Sadly the ballad was ruined tonight by mic malfunctions. So sad this happened, because the young lady is a tremendous talent and good person. But this will always be the risk with electronics in big venues. Just go ask the audio guys that handle things like large rock concerts, Super Bowls, college Bowl games, etc. Why do you think some Super Bowl pop star appearances have to be lip synced? The dynamics of outdoor electronics can be very risky and dangerous, and tonight I heard that with not only Crown but a few others. 

Santa Clara Vanguard - A truly amazing show top to bottom. The opener does not grab me until three quarters of the way through, but from there to the end is simply dynamic programming, The last 2 to 3 minutes are HEAVEN!!! I noticed a mic hiccup with SCV tonight as well. The first entrance of the solo brass ensemble did not come through. It was quickly fixed, but I also feel they may have turned the mics off at one point. At least from the FLO perspective it seemed the solo brass ensemble was not cutting through like they normally did. At any rate, Bravo for captivating the drum corps world this summer with a stunning and modern show that also had some wonderful old school moments. 

Blue Devils - To me, this was BY FAR AND AWAY the best corps all summer and this evening.  They constructed a show that began with MUSIC. It was clearly music first and the construction was masterful.  BD put together a music ensemble that blew my mind all summer, and tonight laid down an amazing performance! The showmanship of their visual program, which I feel so perfectly matches the music, is one of the hallmarks of BD. Some call it swagger, but to me it's showmanship, and BD really understands how to add that element to a show. Way to go, Blue Crew!!! What a FANTASTIC show, and your performance was thrilling on all levels! 

Bravo to all!  I had a blast watching everyone this summer! 

• Like 5

Visual to Blue Devils

2 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

Have the entire '89 Finals on MP3 that I've listened to in my car for years. NEVER gets old...

I've got everything on some kind of disc, tape, cd too. Just a remarkable night and was pleased to be there. 

Edited by rrunyon1
  • Like 1

8th place - 90.400 - Blue Knights

####, so #### close Blue Stars. 

• Like 1

Jim Ott Best Brass Performance - Carolina Crown

• Like 5

90.400 Blue Knights- Tied for the 12th highest 8th place score of all-time

• Like 3

Jim Ott award- Carolina Crown.

• Like 6