2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Right, this my point re Phantom. It was really awkward. I kept thinking, what would I think if my daughter was out there in a red silk teddie? Very poor form.

I can remember when Spirit's guard's velvet top with a hole in the front was scandalous.  93?  94?

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Right, this my point re Phantom. It was really awkward. I kept thinking, what would I think if my daughter was out there in a red silk teddie? Very poor form.

This is what I thought about Bluecoats at the Denton, TX show when the guard's butts were still hanging out of their costumes. Luckily they got those girls some longer shorts by San Antonio.

I didn't think anything about Phantom's guard uniforms. Seemed to be pretty standard drum corps stuff.

2 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

The Bluecoats should have used the rule allowing the defending champion to go on last. They were compared against hot performances by Boston and the Cavaliers.

Nah, I think it was the combination of Cavaliers roaring guard momentum, and Bluecoats show never being able to overcome a flat second act. Bluecoats peaked a month ago, because they could never fix the ballad, and that put too much pressure on the closer and guard. Two totally different directions, Cavaliers and Bluecoats. In the end, there wasn't enough "sheet difficulty" in Bluecoats' show this year.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, rrunyon1 said:

IMO I think the whole system needs adjusting. I find the enhanced sound tidious. I want to hear the music organically and not with needless microphones and distortion. I really want the ruling panel to sit down and hash some things out because we are losing musical proficiency. I am left cold with all the sounds outside the horns. I can't make out what is being played because something else might be playing something else. It is a bit cluster ####ed sometimes and hard to understand. I want to hear authentic horn playing and true ability. Again, this is just a personal opinion and not a jab at the performers. Those kids are given what they are given.  

If you think the corps this week didn't show "true ability" you're a moron.

• Like 2

Just now, Cappybara said:

I agree with this completely. It's time to take a step back from the use of electronics. I don't suggest removing it completely, but some restrictions are certainly needed

I support complete removal of electronics.  It puts the performance in the hands of the performers where it should be.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ShouldveMarchedAgeOut said:

That made no sense. Cadets are misogynistic? As they have women in their corps. K

I have no idea what the original poster was referring to as the "misogynistic" drum corps show. You'd have to ask him/her. Given the weirdness of the accusation, I just thought it would be fun to throw out random possibilities :) 

1 minute ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I can remember when Spirit's guard's velvet top with a hole in the front was scandalous.  93?  94?

Same year (if it was '94) that BD's guard was outfitted in Victoria's Secret silk bras. 

3 minutes ago, HbRJgdZHsbc said:

"Correlation = Causation" was added to the DCI manual in 2015 I think.  So yes, singing is not music.

Singing is not Music? HAHA. OK.............

Regardless if DCI or anyone thinks that, it's beyond ridiculous.

Edited by snare_guy_83