2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

2 minutes ago, Hammer said:

I find it odd that 83% of the corps had a worse night on Saturday than they did on Friday. 

The drops in scores are a reflection of the judges. 

Finals numbers typically drop for the first few Corps at least, due to show dynamics. Twelve corps instead of twenty five. It doesn't mean the corps were worse. As long as the spreads are what the judge intends, the actual numbers don't much matter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FancySnack said:

Since you brought it up....the thing that bothers me about PR's show is how women are represented as "fantasies", or as tempresses/seductresses - distractions for the corps. It's not a positive portrayl at all. They're led around by their faces by the corps and then they're finally made "pure" in white gowns. Eh...but next year is a new year. Maybe they'll allow men back into their guard - I think it may be high time for a change with PR. Their continued style has gotten stale.

Yeah, with most corps the "fantasies" in the guard would be neutral-gendered due to a mixed guard. Phantom doing it with the Phantomettes unfortunately puts the gender subtext at the forefront, and the result is problematic. Completely unintentional, mind you, but highly problematic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Bluecoats made a lot of bold decisions in all areas this year, and that's why I love them. But this year some of those decisions bit them in the arse. It is what it is at this point. 

I love the Cavaliers, some of my all time favorite shows are theirs, but I have truly hated their last two designs. They are both the forest for the trees in terms of design, just throwing everything you can possibly think of out on a football field with very, very little musicality. It scores well, apparently. But it is no fun to watch, at least for me.

Right now there is no question this activity continues to lean to guard and dramatic individualizations over musical performance. I personally enjoy this but I don't think it is or should be the core of this activity. Many disagree with me, I am no one important.

B,uecoars will come back with another amazing show next year. They will learn from their missteps and come out blazing again. They are still the It corps in dci, and Jagged Edge will remain one of the great shows of this decade. I'm cool with that.

I hated Propaganda. Absolutely hated it. So you can imagine my surprise when Cavies take a similar approach this year and I all of a sudden love it. 

The concept and presentation matters. There was little musicality from the Cavies this year (or to rephrase, very little melodic content), and I feel that if the Cavies didn't have those entertaining visual and comical elements, I would've disliked the show just as much as I dislike Vanguard's cacophonous and disjointed show. But like I said, the Cavies really SOLD it. They put their hearts into it and that's what made it work, for both me, and the judges, apparently. 

Jagged Line is certainly an all time great, and I hope Bloo continues to do what they do. They have my 2nd favorite show this year and that design team knows how to put out a show that is pure fun

• Like 2

Just now, MotoSurfBass said:

Yeah, with most corps the "fantasies" in the guard would be neutral-gendered due to a mixed guard. Phantom doing it with the Phantomettes unfortunately puts the gender subtext at the forefront, and the result is problematic. Completely unintentional, mind you, but highly problematic.

EXACTLY. 

• Like 2