2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

Band overload today.

Up at 4am to watch the live feed of the World Pipe Band Championships from Glasgow, Scotland and then the DCI Finals tonight.

I'm always regretting my decision to not go to Finals in person.

BTW, we're trying to get a SoundSport Team/Band/Corps going here in Baton Rouge. If there are any interested musicians anywhere within reasonable driving distance of BR that may be interested, just send me a PM here..........   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, skevinp said:

So it sounds like TWO other corps have had unbeaten seasons.

Sketchy...

Just now, Bobby L. Collins said:

Before you go, do you know if any scores dropped tonight?

Every score dropped, expect 2.  Cavies and BD.  This is really unusual.  The top 3/4 of the final usually rise.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

I'm looking forward to people proposing rule changes so BD won't keep winning. 

BD will win regardless of any rule change. That's not the point of at least some people who think rule changes would benefit the activity as a whole. Think of it this way: it's great that BD won doing X, but it would be even better if they won doing Y, because Y is more entertaining.

• Like 5

Just now, MikeRapp said:

Music is why I love drum corps. I appreciate the other stuff, but to me if you don't major on music then why do drum corps? 

Amen.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FancySnack said:

EXACTLY. 

It's also a reason why I am in favor of corps ditching headgear as time goes on... it emphasizes a gender-neutral look for the corps proper. Most groups you look at with shakos, helmets, or aussies, and it (obviously) gives off a very uniform vibe, one that is typically more masculine in appearance. Take the headgear off, and you see the diversity and mixture of the corps members. There were almost certainly females in Phantom's horn and/or drum lines, but the uniformity automatically has your mind make the distinction that they are all male. Compare that to the Blue Knights, where one could see the variety in gender and other factors, emphasizing a personal connection with the audience while keeping uniform with the outfits and similar hair/makeup stylings. WGI figured this out from the start, to great effect.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Could you be more specific?

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

BD will win regardless of any rule change. That's not the point of at least some people who think rule changes would benefit the activity as a whole. Think of it this way: it's great that BD won doing X, but it would be even better if they won doing Y, because Y is more entertaining.

Do you think that same BD corps wins with SCV's show? 

Do you think they perform it as well or better?

• Like 2