2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

8 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

9th to 5th and now 4th?

Thank ya for your kind words and go green machine

They are waiting to medal until you get to finals next year.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FancySnack said:

Yeah, that guy is just a crazy person who's real bummed out. We've all been there (maybe?). I'm definiltey in the camp that thought Cavies deserved 4th!

Since you brought it up....the thing that bothers me about PR's show is how women are represented as "fantasies", or as tempresses/seductresses - distractions for the corps. It's not a positive portrayl at all. They're led around by their faces by the corps and then they're finally made "pure" in white gowns. Eh...but next year is a new year. Maybe they'll allow men back into their guard - I think it may be high time for a change with PR. Their continued style has gotten stale.

I was waiting for this all year.  What took you so long.  There were some early season S and M comments.

• Like 1

Congrats Blue Devils and Cavaliers!  I wanted SCV to win more than anyone, but I can't dispute that the Blue Devils deserved it.  This may have been their best corps ever ... insanely good.

• Like 2

Just now, Treefidy said:

Do you think that same BD corps wins with SCV's show? 

Do you think they perform it as well or better?

I think that BD can learn to do anything well. I think the sheets need tweaking, largely along the lines hostrauser's "segmentation" thread suggests, but I think that if that were to happen, that BD would adapt. They wouldn't perform SCV's show, but they'd perform something that matched the new sheets as well as their show tonight matches the current sheets. Barring major personnel changes at BD, they will remain formidable indefinitely.

• Like 4

I'd like to ask an honest question.

Among the top 12, who benefited the most from amplfication/singing/synthesizers/microphones/dancing/spandex costumes?  And who benefited the least?

5 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Why'd they go back to having the Phantomettes, anyway? They add male guard members and have some of their most successful seasons ever, including an upset of an undefeated Blue Devils season... then nah. that probably isn't working. Better go back to how we used to do it.

???

I believe they did it to thematically match their "Juliet" show in 2011, with the corps proper as the Montagues (Romeo) and the guard as the Capulets (Juliet). They did it again in 2012 for the guard (Turandot) and the corps proper (Calaf). By the time 2013 rolled around, the guard's characterization was more gender-neutral, but Phantom simply kept up the Phantomette tradition. 

• Like 1

I'm a bit late to the party, but was Flo as bad tonight for everyone else as it was for me?  Absolutely horrendous quality, worse than any other time this season.  If it was a connection issue, it wasn't on my side.  Not acceptable for Finals night.

15 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

Yeah, we realized that the first 10 times you posted it.

sorry, my browser flaked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I believe they did it to thematically match their "Juliet" show in 2011, with the corps proper as the Montagues (Romeo) and the guard as the Capulets (Juliet). They did it again in 2012 for the guard (Turandot) and the corps proper (Calaf). By the time 2013 rolled around, the guard's characterization was more gender-neutral, but Phantom simply kept up the Phantomette tradition. 

That's a good summation of it. 

As a big PR fan, I love the phantomettes, and I love how steeped in tradition they are, but I wouldn't mind a return to a mixed guard if it meant a wider variety of show concepts and higher scoring 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Great!

That happens when the organizational goal is to win at all costs.

Other organizations have different goals, where winning it all is just icing on the cake, not the end goal in itself.

It is quite the accomplishment. More undefeated seasons than other corps but one have titles.

Hope there is a comradery and lasting friendship there too. ...or maybe it is a network of potential resources to utilize?

I don't see that as much as I do in other corps.

Congratulations, BD on #18!

We have the tightest, most supportive alumni base in drum corps. It is absolutely a family. I wish you could see it. And I'm not joking at all.

And you're wrong about "win at all costs". That's not how it is by any means.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 7