2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

Just now, Cappybara said:

That's a good summation of it. 

As a big PR fan, I love the phantomettes, and I love how steeped in tradition they are, but I wouldn't mind a return to a mixed guard if it meant a wider variety of show concepts and higher scoring 

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

It's also a reason why I am in favor of corps ditching headgear as time goes on... it emphasizes a gender-neutral look for the corps proper. Most groups you look at with shakos, helmets, or aussies, and it (obviously) gives off a very uniform vibe, one that is typically more masculine in appearance. Take the headgear off, and you see the diversity and mixture of the corps members. There were almost certainly females in Phantom's horn and/or drum lines, but the uniformity automatically has your mind make the distinction that they are all male. Compare that to the Blue Knights, where one could see the variety in gender and other factors, emphasizing a personal connection with the audience while keeping uniform with the outfits and similar hair/makeup stylings. WGI figured this out from the start, to great effect.

Never thought of this, but it's an interesting idea. I like seeing women in percussion and carrying tubas; guys in the guard. I like that corps go for the best talent they can get in whatever section.

That said, and now wondering if a 2nd glass of Cab is messing with my critical thinking: I also like Cavies and Scouts. Plus that Phantom had all girls in the guard doing girly things. It isn't so much these things as absolutes. Rather, it's that this gives us variety out on the field.

• Like 3

Well, I'm bushed. I deliberately didn't spend too much time in the Prelims, Semis, and Finals threads, and look forward to catching up with them at some later date. Congratulations to all the corps, thanks to all who have made interesting posts over the past seven weeks, and remember to enjoy what you have.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Why'd they go back to having the Phantomettes, anyway? They add male guard members and have some of their most successful seasons ever, including an upset of an undefeated Blue Devils season... then nah. that probably isn't working. Better go back to how we used to do it.

???

BD had suffered a loss already that season. Allentown to the Cavaliers. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I'd like to ask an honest question.

Among the top 12, who benefited the most from amplfication/singing/synthesizers/microphones/dancing/spandex costumes?  And who benefited the least?

The Cavaliers leaned very heavily on electronics to great effect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeffmolnar said:

Ah, thanks. Thought they were undefeated.

Believe me being a BD honk i wish they was that year lol. But Cavies and then Phantom beat them fair and square. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HbRJgdZHsbc said:

1. There is no way for the system or the adjudicators to compare last night to tonight (or Thursday for that matter).  So the supposition that 83% had a "worse night" is unsubstantiated.

2. The drop in scores is a reflection of contest dynamics and the opportunity to create a more accurate and detailed scoring narrative in a less dense competition.

3. If somehow I'm totally wrong about 1 & 2, and you're totally right about this topic, what reflection on the judges is it?  What does it mean?  Which panel lied to us and the corps (last night or tonight)?  Just wondering.

The burden of explanation is on the judges. The corps and the fans all believe they did better.