2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

1 hour ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

The Bluecoats should have used the rule allowing the defending champion to go on last. They were compared against hot performances by Boston and the Cavaliers.

and your point?....lol

• Like 1

Ok this is sure to make people mad and that's not what it's intended to do however I feel compelled to voice this. For the first time I was at prelims and semis and I went with an open mind trying to decide for myself which I thought was the best show. That being said I felt that BD's show was very much a glorified stand still performance they only really played after moving to a spot and stopping. Vanguard was entertaining for the first part of the show then seemed to be repetitive to me. Bluecoats seemed a lot like last years show entertaining but a little lack luster. Crown is always my favorite brass but this year the show was a little confusing to me personally. My real issue is the Boston Crusaders and Cavies and Madison Scouts shows were enjoyable to watch very powerful musically and overall understandable and yet not very good scores. My confusion in this whole thing comes from 2015 when inferno was undoubtedly the most enjoyable show on the field and they came in second last year their show was in my opinion a lot more enjoyable then BD and again fell behind them at finals. Maybe it's because it's subject to judges opinions that some score higher in GE then others so why not do away with GE and score it on execution of the music and how well the show was performed as opposed to how well a judge like the show. This is just my opinion and we all know what is said about that. Congrats to all the corps open and world on a wonderful season and lifelong memories. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

2017... the year drill died. 

This is a lot more theatrical than anything in BD's show, imo

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

The issue people have with Phantom this year in that regard is that the "male" corps proper was chasing the female "fantasy" character, which was dressed... provocatively, to say the least. Taking the helmets off of the corps proper or adding males to the guard would work to alleviate some of the concerns the design choices brought up.

Cavies and Scouts, with their all-male memberships, actually are at an advantage in this regard. Knowing that the membership is all one gender, they can either keep the headgear on and keep the uniformity, or they can take the headgear off and emote to the crowd. Interestingly enough, both groups utilized both styles in their shows this year.

Not necessarily. If Phantom had males in the guard, the young men in the guard  would have replaced the musicians as the ones having the fantasy and it still would have had the provocatively dressed young women. 

I'm to let my inner prude come out and suggest all designers ask the question "Would I let my daughter wear this?" 

13 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

My real issue is the Boston Crusaders and Cavies and Madison Scouts shows were enjoyable to watch very powerful musically and overall understandable and yet not very good scores. 

Highest Boston placement and score in years. (With a record-high guard.)

Highest Cavies placement and score in years. 

I repeat: Not getting first place is not the same thing as not being rewarded by the judges! Genuinely, this forum seems not to understand this. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Nah, I think it was the combination of Cavaliers roaring guard momentum, and Bluecoats show never being able to overcome a flat second act. Bluecoats peaked a month ago, because they could never fix the ballad, and that put too much pressure on the closer and guard. Two totally different directions, Cavaliers and Bluecoats. In the end, there wasn't enough "sheet difficulty" in Bluecoats' show this year.

This is my ongoing concern with dci as an activity. I want shows that entertain musically. And I want it to be virtually impossible to work the sheets at the expense of musical entertainment. Love guard, but he best musical shows should have a fundamental advantage. Corps that create shows that do not put music at the center are fine, but they should not be able to outscore shows that do.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I'm to let my inner prude come out and suggest all designers ask the question "Would I let my daughter wear this?" 

(Have you seen what teens are wearing these days? TBH....)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Highest Boston placement and score in years. (With a record-high guard.)

Highest Cavies placement and score in years. 

I repeat: Not getting first place is not the same thing as not being rewarded by the judges!

Ok let me rephrase this I did not mean the scores were bad I just felt they deserved higher marks regardless of what they received in the past. All of their shows were much more enjoyable to watch then BD for me personally. 

• Like 2