2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

1 hour ago, MotoSurfBass said:

It's also a reason why I am in favor of corps ditching headgear as time goes on... it emphasizes a gender-neutral look for the corps proper. Most groups you look at with shakos, helmets, or aussies, and it (obviously) gives off a very uniform vibe, one that is typically more masculine in appearance. Take the headgear off, and you see the diversity and mixture of the corps members. There were almost certainly females in Phantom's horn and/or drum lines, but the uniformity automatically has your mind make the distinction that they are all male. Compare that to the Blue Knights, where one could see the variety in gender and other factors, emphasizing a personal connection with the audience while keeping uniform with the outfits and similar hair/makeup stylings. WGI figured this out from the start, to great effect.

Very interesting point.  You've almost changed my mind on the headgear thing.  Still miss the Aussies for SCV though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

Hope there is a comradery and lasting friendship there too. ...or maybe it is a network of potential resources to utilize?

I don't see that as much as I do in other corps.

Congratulations, BD on #18!

This is such a weird thing to say about a corps that is visibly one of the most family-oriented, if not the most, in the activity. 

Also a weird thing to say given the emotion pouring out of their anniversary show, and the clear affection for the history of the organization. You're worried about lack of camaraderie and friendship after seeing that? Really? 

Also, finally, a pretty lame thing to say, competitively speaking, because being good at winning doesn't necessitate being a sociopath lmao. Stop making up things to be fake-concerned about. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, AlexL said:

It actually worked perfectly for me. Was on a roku with wired internet connection, and with a 65" screen i wouldve noticed resolution dropoffs pretty quickly. 

My only disappointment was cutting off the encore.  

I've watched on Roku most of the season and it has been great.  Watched on a PC tonight and it was all pixelated to hell.  I have blazing fast fiber internet, so I can't imagine it was a connection issue on my end.  Video just looked incredibly compressed.

4 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

I've watched on Roku most of the season and it has been great.  Watched on a PC tonight and it was all pixelated to hell.  I have blazing fast fiber internet, so I can't imagine it was a connection issue on my end.  Video just looked incredibly compressed.

Yeah... its possible the browser implementation is subpar compared to the roku one as well

Was your pc connection wired or on wifi? 

Edited by AlexL

1 hour ago, furious-winter said:

The Cavaliers and Madison Scouts are missing out on talent by being "all-male." I remember seeing the clip of the Scouts playing with the INpact group and wondering if any of the young girls might have asked one of the Scouts members, "Could I march with the Madison Scouts someday?" It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to bar an entire gender from a drum corps - and tradition accounted for, it still really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to bar an entire gender from a drum corps. But whatever. The Cavaliers are still my favorite corps. 

But... misogyny? Maybe. Perhaps it's also misogynistic to field an all-female color guard. I don't think it happened this year (I can't remember seeing a male PR guard member... also I'm also older than I was yesterday), but I know it's happened in the past, and I really hope it doesn't happen again. Regardless, if we're truly wanting to have a rational discussion about misogyny in drum corps, perhaps we shouldn't wait until after the scores are announced on finals night when many fans' emotions are already in overdrive. It makes one wonder if, perhaps, the one crying "misogyny" is only using such an allegation as a means of masking other frustrations. 

As for "Men Are From Mars," I think it's the darkest show fielded this year (BK's show is a close second). When people say it's about toxic masculinity, I feel like they're missing the deeper message. At its core, I would argue that it is not about mankind, but instead, humankind, and its propensity for self-destruction. The Mars/My Way mash-up has been trashed all season long because it "doesn't make sense," and I don't think it was ever supposed to make sense... at least not in the way those who hated it expected it should. War is not beautiful, and it doesn't make sense - but time and time again, war is man's way, humanity's way, and even the way of the gods themselves. So, yes, The Cavaliers wrapped up this message in a cute little self-deprecating bow of toxic masculinity, but it is only as misogynistic as it is also misandrist. 

Goodnight, y'all. It's been a ####### amazing season. Thanks for welcoming me into the DCI fandom, and already I can't wait for next year. <3

Thanks for this.  I don't agree with all of it, but a lot of it makes sense and I appreciate that you spent the time to share your thoughts.

Edited by jasgre2000
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, furious-winter said:

As for "Men Are From Mars," I think it's the darkest show fielded this year (BK's show is a close second). When people say it's about toxic masculinity, I feel like they're missing the deeper message. At its core, I would argue that it is not about mankind, but instead, humankind, and its propensity for self-destruction. The Mars/My Way mash-up has been trashed all season long because it "doesn't make sense," and I don't think it was ever supposed to make sense... at least not in the way those who hated it expected it should. War is not beautiful, and it doesn't make sense - but time and time again, war is man's way, humanity's way, and even the way of the gods themselves. So, yes, The Cavaliers wrapped up this message in a cute little self-deprecating bow of toxic masculinity, but it is only as misogynistic as it is also misandrist. 

If this is correct, then I'd say they timed it well.

Best regards.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Highest Boston placement and score in years. (With a record-high guard.)

Highest Cavies placement and score in years. 

I repeat: Not getting first place is not the same thing as not being rewarded by the judges! Genuinely, this forum seems not to understand this. 

Highest SCV score in 18 years.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, AlexL said:

Yeah... its possible the browser implementation is subpar compared to the roku one as well

Was your pc connection wired or on wifi? 

Wired. I checked my speed ... I am getting 200+ Mbps down through the same connection.  Can barely see anyone's faces in the multi-cam feed it was pixelated so bad.

Some closing thoughts. 

• So happy for the Vanguard organization. It seems they are in a good place and hope that this will be an era of being contenders and hopefully titles for the foreseeable future. Also, SCVC wins Open Class and the Guard with their first World Class title I believe. 
  • SCV, this season's show will be in my top 5, I love it.
  • I think the other big story of the year is BAC, shows having super staff matters. It's not an accident their Guard goes from 12th to 3rd, concurrently Crown's Guard goes from 3rd to 6th. 
  • Speaking of BAC, love their show as well. They had the best use of vocals. Like I said before, Mixing+Arrangement+Vocalist equals success.
  • I agree with others that it seems per results that staging is taking more importance than drill. Hope this will not continue or this will hurt the activity in the long run.
  • I wonder what ramifications the mic issue will have over the winter in terms of design and/or rule changes if any. Crown put all the chips in for having vocals, it hurt them. How? Depends on how one looks at it, but to have it happen at finals, still stinks whether it affected the score or not. 
  • The Vanguard Percussion program is firing on all cylinders and this is now their 14th title. I think the most in DCI just pass BD. 
  • I was on the fence with the whole uni/costume deal. I get it now. Never thought the Scouts show would tip me over.
  • I started a thread on this. I like what Cavies did for the retreat. Hope other corps follow suit and come out with some semblance of a traditional Uniform.
  • Interesting to see Bluecoats not score well in percussion, yet Crown scored well. Glad to see them do well. Hope Bluecoats bounce back next season.
  • Scouts, BK, Cavies, Crossmen shows fascinating me, well done.
  • Crown Brass, Bravo. To Crown overall. You had the best 1st half of show. I'll leave it at that.
  • Cadets - Just couldn't get into the show
  • Phantom. Saw them live in California. Love how they improved this season.
  • Bluecoats - Seem like a repeat of last season. But ridiculously talented corps from top to bottom.
  • Blue Stars. I need more viewings.
  • Congrats to BD.
  • Like 7