2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

4 hours ago, Kamarag said:

We have the tightest, most supportive alumni base in drum corps. It is absolutely a family. I wish you could see it. And I'm not joking at all.

And you're wrong about "win at all costs". That's not how it is by any means.

Great! That is good to hear.

3 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

This is such a weird thing to say about a corps that is visibly one of the most family-oriented, if not the most, in the activity. 

Also a weird thing to say given the emotion pouring out of their anniversary show, and the clear affection for the history of the organization. You're worried about lack of camaraderie and friendship after seeing that? Really? 

Also, finally, a pretty lame thing to say, competitively speaking, because being good at winning doesn't necessitate being a sociopath lmao. Stop making up things to be fake-concerned about. 

I have some specific reasons and stories that form the opinion for what I've written, but it would be lame to talk about those stories here, and especially not today.  I'm not making anything up to be fake-concerned about.  There are sociopaths around for sure.  I hope I see more positive stories to try and counter.

I'll disagree with your last paragraph and I'll just let this die...

Edited by jjeffeory
Wrong place

6 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

The Bluecoats should have used the rule allowing the defending champion to go on last. They were compared against hot performances by Boston and the Cavaliers.

What rule? The last time that was utilized was in 1987 when BD performed after the two-way horserace of Garfield & SCV. They finished a distant 4th-- with a full point below Garfield's 10s in field/ensemble drums (and a 0.8 spread in GE Drums). In 1988, the order of the top 5 was selected by big, gimmicky cards, and Garfield arbitrarily chose #12. Beginning in 1989 and continuing through last night, whoever won semis went last.

Earlier in the thread, someone asked if Crossmen would honor Spirit of Atlanta at Retreat with a delta. Yes -- they did.

Thank you XMen!

(Photos from SOA Parents FB page)

kfntpfj.jpg

4yE89PY.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

Edited by CrownBariDad
Photo credit
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, snare_guy_83 said:

So mic issues only affect GE scores, not Music Analysis.

That logic would lead to meaning that singing only falls under GE, not Music. 

I'm not a judge, but I would put it this way:

The mic issues we heard last night (from several corps) is not a performance issue, it's a general effect issue. 

The music caption has Brass, Percussion, and Analysis. Brass and percussion are obvious. Analysis has two sub captions (content and achievement). Content is what were the performers given to perform. Achievement is how well did they perform.  The young lady singing likely did an excellent job. It's not her fault the mic didn't work. Now, if there were balance issues where she was too loud or too soft then that could affect achievement. If the vocal part was not written well and didn't work with the brass parts, then that could affect content. 

Mostly what we got last night were mic issues (mics not working properly). That's the audio engineer's fault. It could have been the wireless, the mixer, the way the mixer was setup, an effect insert, or any number of issues. These things would fall under general effect, at least for now. 

I'll be honest, I thought Carolina Crown was laying down one of the cleanest and best performances I've ever seen from a 3rd place corps up through the beginning of the ballad. They were spot on. Without the mic issues they may have scored more like a 97.4 - just a few tenths under Vanguard.  They were HOT. But come the ballad I doubt most people continued to follow the brass and percussion, the marching, the drill design -- all of which were spectacular.  Once those mic issues happened it takes the fan out of the game. You lose focus.  This is the risk and danger of electronics in the outdoor setting. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 6

Did anyone notice Boston's homage to Academy's 2016 zombie show?  Each night, they killed off members of the guard and the next day, those members were up walking around only to be killed again.

Yes -- it's late or early.  I don't know which. 

• Like 1

There is no rule allowing the defending champion to go on last. That was scuttled years ago.

Edited by BDCorno

5 hours ago, jmc5682 said:

They should award captions on who won the caption at Finals like they used to.  It should not matter what you do in semi's or quarters.  It is Saturday night that matters.  

It was really ridiculous...they could have handed the trophies out for brass, drums and color guard after semis (though BD came #### close to wiping out an almost unscalable margin in guard). GE and visual were close to a lock as well. Seems as if finals was really not even a factor in those captions. I don't care for that at all. Let finals have its due.

• Like 1

I have no problem with captions being awarded for consistency across all three nights.  That and it helps to remove some judging biases.

• Like 9

Congratulations to the Blue Devils!  Well deserved! 

Sometimes, you get the bear, and other times, the bear gets you.  Cavies have a great show.  So do Bloo.  They'll  be back strong again next year.  

Proud of all of the kids in all the corps this past week.  I'm just glad there are great kids like this who still want to do this stuff.  Well done! 

Time to go home and off to DCA in a couple of weeks. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 6