2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

6 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I'd much rather have another 3000 kids participating in old uniforms and horns than today's elitist, college-music-major-only, $3000 fee required, esoteric circle jerk that DCI has become.   Since that is what DCI is and will continue to be, I'm done.

False choice.  There is no choice between one and the other.  Forcing the top corps to regress wouldn't create new drum corps at the bottom end.  It might, however, end the seven year streak of record attendance at Indy.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I'd much rather have another 3000 kids participating in old uniforms and horns than today's elitist, college-music-major-only, $3000 fee required, esoteric circle jerk that DCI has become.   Since that is what DCI is and will continue to be, I'm done.

Really, with today's economy, how many kids have the TIME to spend a whole summer marching drum corps if they're not significantly invested in music education like music majors are? 

The times as well as the cultural/economic landscapes have changed and drum corps has changed to reflect it. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

It was a very informatitive breakdown and I appreciate the time spent to explain it. That being said i am ultimately a fan of all Corps that entertain me regardless of who they are. I just don't feel this show was as entertaining as say Spartacus in 2008 or for that matter Wicked Games this year. I spend the money to be entertained and captivated not confused. 2011 A Beat My Heart Skipped was very enjoyable and I feel a much better show then this years. Regardless of who my favorite Corps is I will give credit to who I feel deserves it and I'm sorry I just didn't feel their show was the best I felt it was a third place at best show. Again this is just my personal opinion I am sure I will be bashed for this but we are all entitled to our thoughts. I am not particularly a fan of the Cavies or Scouts I felt their shows were more exciting to watch. 

That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. Just don't confound "not entertaining" with "should be scoring lower"

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

then go play somewhere else...

21 minutes ago, Anstigback said:

Did you make him miss the cavaliers and scouts for a popcorn break?

I LOVE it!

32 minutes ago, Psycobikerbob said:

It was a very informatitive breakdown and I appreciate the time spent to explain it. That being said i am ultimately a fan of all Corps that entertain me regardless of who they are. I just don't feel this show was as entertaining as say Spartacus in 2008 or for that matter Wicked Games this year. I spend the money to be entertained and captivated not confused. 2011 A Beat My Heart Skipped was very enjoyable and I feel a much better show then this years. Regardless of who my favorite Corps is I will give credit to who I feel deserves it and I'm sorry I just didn't feel their show was the best I felt it was a third place at best show. Again this is just my personal opinion I am sure I will be bashed for this but we are all entitled to our thoughts. I am not particularly a fan of the Cavies or Scouts I felt their shows were more exciting to watch. 

I'm no Blue Devils homer. I almost always root for someone else to win every season (including this one). But in my opinion, the Blue Devils' show this year was exceptionally entertaining.  Blew me away every time I saw it.  I would have preferred for SCV to win, but I cannot deny that BD had the best show/performance of the season.

Edited by jasgre2000
  • Like 1

Wow. Well, I definitely had one too many pops last night. I apologize for my rambling, incoherent posts about misogyny and whatever else I was talking about. I read some of the posts today and just laughed. Kids, stay in school and don't drink too much. To those that called me a troll, sorry to disappoint, I was just being a drunk cry baby. 

To the Cavalier fans, props. The show may not be my favorite, but the kids performed it extremely well and credit should be given for a great season. Also, sorry for taking the discussion into a weird tangent instead of focussing on the positives of the season. BD and SCV had incredible season as well and I shouldn't have steered the conversation in a negative way.

As for the Bluecoats, well it's back to the drawing board. The judges just didn't respond well over the last couple weeks. I think if the season went on for another week Boston would've passed Bloo as well. Anyway, sorry for being that annoying drunk guy at the party last night. I'll be back in the offseason here and there, but other than that see you guys next year!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, ShouldveMarchedAgeOut said:

Wow. Well, I definitely had one too many pops last night. I apologize for my rambling, incoherent posts about misogyny and whatever else I was talking about. I read some of the posts today and just laughed. Kids, stay in school and don't drink too much. To those that called me a troll, sorry to disappoint, I was just being a drunk cry baby. 

To the Cavalier fans, props. The show may not be my favorite, but the kids performed it extremely well and credit should be given for a great season. Also, sorry for taking the discussion into a weird tangent instead of focussing on the positives of the season. BD and SCV had incredible season as well and I shouldn't have steered the conversation in a negative way.

As for the Bluecoats, well it's back to the drawing board. The judges just didn't respond well over the last couple weeks. I think if the season went on for another week Boston would've passed Bloo as well. Anyway, sorry for being that annoying drunk guy at the party last night. I'll be back in the offseason here and there, but other than that see you guys next year!

I figured you had one too much to drink, you're typically a very level-headed poster. No harm done, you spurred up some valuable conversation. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

There used to be all female corps way back when

You bet -- and they were good, too.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChristmasInJuly said:

I am pretty sure he is not a troll. I believe he marched Bluecoats and is upset with the fact Cavilers show beat the Bluecoats show. I 100% agree with him. I have never respected Cavilers or Madison Scouts for the simple fact that I think it is crap they do not allow women to march. I do not think they will ever win another championship until they change their mindset on allowing women to march. Women have just as much talent if not more than men. 

Also their show was 100% a **** you to women this year. I found totally disgraceful and trashy. It is already bad enough you don't allow woman to march but now you are going to have a show about men. 

I know you guys will bash this and tell me I am stupid but my opinion is my opinion. 

Was Scouts d

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

That's a pretty huge simplification of GE. Judges have been instructed, since 2014 I believe, to take into account audience reaction, but it is by no means the main way GE is judged. 

Why should a judge take into account the audience reaction? Stanford audience differs from Allentown, Denver differs from Atlanta. I am so over Indianapolis and Lucas Oil Stadium that I won't go back for a very long time... why should any of this be factored? The rules should be written and the judging criteria should address this. If you want to acknowledge audience participation then make a new Finals award similar to "Spirit of Disney". Popular opinion isn't easily quantified and I don't want regional interests affecting the outcome. Finally I don't need people in the stands "voting" with more noise.