2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

All I'm gonna say regarding all these comments about the way Bloo's and Phantom's guard is dressing up:

most of the members (if not all) in the top 12 world class corps are 18 and above. They are college aged. If you think those outfits are the worst they wear, you're kidding yourself. Let adults be adults. 

What Bloo and PR did this year CG uni wise was nowhere NEAR "old" VK's well endowed hardbody CG girl who popped out out of a prop cake wearing nothing but a skimpy white bikini and white FMPs during "CA Girls", and she had parents too. No corps will ever top that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Ahh.  I can see the off-season has more than kicked off in its full and......interesting glory.  

Interesting?  Things are getting uninteresting fast -- in typical DCP fashion. 

9 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Both The Cavaliers and the Madison Scouts began as Boy Scout troops.  I will not speak for the Scouts whom I deeply respect but as a Cavaliers alumnus I WILL speak for my corps.

We, The Cavaliers, are a fraternity -- not just a drum corps.  We are all-male and we always will be and our "mindset" is not anti-woman.  Our corps exists to develop young men for life, not merely to win championships.  It has nothing to do with talent because while women have talent, they are not members of a fraternity or brotherhood.  There are many drum corps which welcome women in their ranks and we celebrate this fact.  Also, lost in history is an important fact:  There were MANY MORE all-girl corps than all-male corps.  You didn't see men trying to change this!  DCI even had an all-girl championship category back in the day.

I'm not into this gender-bender "fluidity" movement which is rampant today.  Sure, I respect people's life choices but please respect mine too.  

The Cavaliers WILL win more DCI championships, sooner rather than later, and no one will be prouder of my brothers than me.

Here's my breakdown of why these arguments are not persuasive, imo:

The fraternity argument: Gender-based fraternities and Sororities are terrible.   Fraternities are old boy networks that exist to party and pass power down through the network to the next generation.  Sororities exist to allow rich girls to associate with rich boys in the old boy network.  Academic 'fraternities' that have actual value are generally gender neutral.  It's not healthy to discourage association with the opposite sex.  It's far better for young people to associate in an integrated way early and often.  (Granted, they have the rest of the year to do so.)

"We are all male and we always will be ... ", a restatement of the issue, and a declaration of intent to continue.

" ... and our 'mindset' is not anti-woman ... ".  Agreed.  The Cavaliers are great people who are not trying to hurt anyone.  The question is whether the practice in fact does hurt people, not whether it's intentional.

" ... develop young men for life ... ".  Why not women too?

"There were MANY MORE all-girl corps ... ".  Back in the day the reasons were different.  Parents didn't want their kids having sex.  If a parent wants their kid to be in the Cavaliers in order to keep them from having sex on tour, it may be logically foolish in that it wouldn't work, but at least it's a cognizable argument.  I think that was also the reason for places like Vassar.  But they also changed as they realized it wouldn't work.  

And that's really the main point.  At one time people thought it was good for kids to associate with their own gender to develop them as men and women.  But now that's not widely believed.  Optionally, a girl should have several boys as friends and a boy should have several girls as friends in the mix.

"I'm not into this gender-bender "fluidity" movement ... ".  This issue has nothing to do with gender fluidity.  You see that, right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRacer said:

What Bloo and PR did this year CG uni wise was nowhere NEAR "old" VK's well endowed hardbody CG girl who popped out out of a prop cake wearing nothing but a skimpy white bikini and white FMPs during "CA Girls", and she had parents too. No corps will ever top that.

A lot of people, including me, have forgotten the approach Dutch Boy used to take. Was reminded yesterday when a friend of a friend posted a hilarious shot of her in the guard when she was, maybe, 14. Her uniform? Sparkly panties and some sort of blouse. 

It made Phantom's Jantzen swimsuits look like a nun's outfit. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Intereresting preceded by a bunch of dots is my nice way of saying it's a bunch of BS.  lol

I was hoping that was it.  :-)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pete Freedman said:

"We are all male and we always will be ... ", a restatement of the issue, and a declaration of intent to continue.

" ... and our 'mindset' is not anti-woman ... ".  Agreed.  The Cavaliers are great people who are not trying to hurt anyone.  

Where did you march?  

I am an alumnus of The Cavaliers and I will support and defend my corps.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TRacer said:

Don't forget the part where she feels up the guys and then they give her a kiss. The whole show is on youtube. I understand where the criticism of PR's show comes from, but at least it's not as bad as this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzMnZ7tBT70 

giphy.gif

Edited by fanman
  • Like 1

Thank you for the VK clip...exactly.

Some of the comments I've read remind me why I'm a charter member of the National Organization Of the Offended by the Offended, or NOOOO!

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 2