2017 World Championships Finals - Aug 12

18 minutes ago, Bsader said:

Marched with the Crusader's brass section back in the mid to late 70's and, to be honest, I have not always found modern day Drum Corps shows to be very entertaining. Having said that... I loved this years Blue Devils brass show! It sounded a lot like old time Drum Corps, albeit the musicianship is certainly on a higher level and they have the advantage of being able to employ that new invention, the 3rd valve, but, in watching the show, I found myself to be truly entertained as opposed to trying to convince myself that I was being entertained which is too often the case for me when I'm taking in a show.

I'm not one of those old curmudgeons' who wants Drum Corps to step back into the past. I actually like most of the allowances that modern Drum Corps provides but, I do have a problem with shows that are, IMO, overly cryptic and pompous.

You might think that I'm being contradictory in citing the Blue Devils brass show as sounding like old time Drum Corps while, at the same time, proclaiming myself to being innocent of being a curmudgeon in my negative opinion of too many modern day Drum Corp shows but, I don't feel like I am. All the modern allowances are fine with me if the show being performed is one that I can sink my teeth into.

I thought the Blue Devils show had a great flow to it, that their were recognizable and sustained melodies and, as I said, very, very, entertaining.

I also loved the Crusader's show this year and I would advise the Blue Devils that they had best watch their backs in 2018 as Boston is coming on strong.

Thank You Blue Devils.

I erred.

So i just got home from Indy and decided to read through the finals forum. Why is what the performers are wearing the main discussion? If you're one of their parents and didn't agree with the costuming choices then you had two months to pull them out in protest. For the rest of us it's a non issue. I guarantee the majority of those kids felt great with what they wore, revealing or not. In twenty years all of them will look back with pride. They are in the best shape of their lives. Let them enjoy it, everyone else go buy a t shirt.

Edited by tommynev
  • Like 5