High or multi cam?

Which one should I use and why?  I've been using high for a while but thinking of switching to multi. 

The answer lies in what each viewer wants to take away from these productions. There is no best answer. Today's shows are so rich in audio, visual, analytic, and emotional stimuli, the viewer needs to prioritize which camera option provides most of what he/she desires. My choice is always Multi-Cam.  But, one really needs to try both options, then settle in.

I quickly lose interest with just a High-Cam view.  Multi-Cam provides much more for me to appreciate. The brilliant colors, the fabric of the costumes, the facial expressions, the sweat and tears. The overall magnificence of our best young adults giving everything they have to a worthy endeavor. You name it, it's all on Multi-Cam, even enough drill patterns from high up.

Over the season, depending on the event, some have claimed one camera option provided a better signal, more in focus, etc. I've never switched between the two. So, who knows? The FloMarching coverage has been all over the map, and I've watched nearly every broadcast . . . using Roku and a bevy of high-end personal home entertainment components.

So, fill a "basket" with what you most enjoy about all of this. If you want to experience every piece inside, choose Multi-Cam.

Enjoy!

Depends on the quality of the director. There's nothing better than a multi-cam feed which is always showing the right things at the right times. And there's nothing worst than a multi-cam that is consistently showing a random pit kid during a big moment somewhere else.

My rule of thumb is...Multi-cam for DCI where they know the shows and tend to get it right. High-cam for BOA where they have no clue and will consistently miss everything.

• Like 2

If you have been using high for awhile check out multi. Back in the early 00s high camera was completely appropriate especially for Corps like the Cavaliers...these days you are missing a lot of personal moments with high camera.  I usually prefer multi cam but will rewatch a show on high camera that has a lot of movement.  

Thanks, all.  I'm going to try the multi for tonight--I suspect some corps (SCV, BAC, maybe PR and BK) have some tricks up their sleeves that they have been saving for tonight.

Enjoy it all, friends!  Tonight is both my favorite and least favorite show of the year . . .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StunnedMonkey said:

Depends on the quality of the director. There's nothing better than a multi-cam feed which is always showing the right things at the right times.

But no matter the Director something else extraordinary is also always missed by the person watching the multi-cam version.  Let's say you are the Director when the tenor line is performing their greatest crossover sweep lick in the entire show, nothing else they do compares, and this is at the exact same time a portion of the guard is exicuiting their greatest physical and artistic body contortion spin toss catch in the entire show, again nothing else compares; which one close-up camera do you as Director choose as being 'the right camera at the right time'?

Somewhere on DCP, someone explained they watched via two screens. One multi cam, one high cam. That would be fun to try.

FWIW, I've sometimes caught the big screen in LOS during solos to see the musician up close. More time than not, they weren't showing the soloist or cut in late or cut our early.