Cadets 2018

3 minutes ago, Cadetmom said:

I am new to the forums and really only created an account to thank someone for posting such wonderful pictures of the Cadets.  However, this post is so disheartening to me.  You see, my child just spent her 3rd year with the Cadets.  She marched The Power of 10, Awakening and TFTFTF.  The POT show got the Cadets 4th place and this year the lowest of the 3 years she's been involved.  However, this summer was by far her favorite and most enjoyable.  I have never seen her so devastated over a season ending as I did 3 days ago.  She is still crying because she misses the show, the corps and 149 of her best friends.  If you could have seen the looks on their faces at the banquet and the tears that were being shed because those kids had to leave each other, the show and the corps behind until next summer you would need no explaination at all about what the Cadets are about.  I appreciate that everyone is entitled to an opinion but I just wish, as a mom of a Cadet and a fan, that people would be more tactful in their postings.  Being a Cadet has a far deeper meaning than any placement or medal.  Please remember that.  My heart breaks reading such negativity from people towards the Cadets.

THIS!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cadetmom said:

I am new to the forums and really only created an account to thank someone for posting such wonderful pictures of the Cadets.  However, this post is so disheartening to me.  You see, my child just spent her 3rd year with the Cadets.  She marched The Power of 10, Awakening and TFTFTF.  The POT show got the Cadets 4th place and this year the lowest of the 3 years she's been involved.  However, this summer was by far her favorite and most enjoyable.  I have never seen her so devastated over a season ending as I did 3 days ago.  She is still crying because she misses the show, the corps and 149 of her best friends.  If you could have seen the looks on their faces at the banquet and the tears that were being shed because those kids had to leave each other, the show and the corps behind until next summer you would need no explaination at all about what the Cadets are about.  I appreciate that everyone is entitled to an opinion but I just wish, as a mom of a Cadet and a fan, that people would be more tactful in their postings.  Being a Cadet has a far deeper meaning than any placement or medal.  Please remember that.  My heart breaks reading such negativity from people towards the Cadets.

Wow! That is so cool.  I am disappointed as a fan that the Cadets didn't score higher but that's because I fell in love with the Cadets when they were in the race to medal or win every year. It's hard to see them go down-hill competitively when BD is winning or coming in 2nd every year.  With that said, I would never think the members should ever feel bad about placement. Unfortunately, a lot of the judging system is really based on subjectivity.  Of course, how well the members play can be judged but things like GE are somewhat a mystery to me as I don't always feel like the top GE scoring corps affects me the way the judges see it.  If they left the field knowing that they gave it everything, then how can you ask for anything more?  Working your butt off all summer long is something to be proud of.  How many kids, or adults for that matter, would spend 12 hours in the summer heat every day to create a show and perform to a crowd?  Most would give up and say, "this is too hard," but those kids kept going even when the scores weren't going up as high as they would have liked.  That is dedication and commitment.  Two qualities that will serve the members well in the future. How can that not be success?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Cadetmom said:

She marched The Power of 10, Awakening and TFTFTF. 

Just thinking how much more merchandise could have been sold if they had inserted "We're" in front of "The Faithful" and "the Fallen" and "the Forgiven":

"WTF WTF WTF"

That said, can everyone who wants to continue complaining about 2017 go do it in the Cadets 2017 thread?  I've stopping following that one, and don't feel like updating my "ignore" list so early.   This is for Cadets 2018.  Let's look ahead, not behind.

• Like 9

I am glad this year is finished, and I look forward to big changes next season.

1 hour ago, Cadetmom said:

Amazing!!!!

• Like 2

My personal opinion, and I know opinions are like...they are usually full of..., but I think 2018 is a big year for the Cadets.  I think that if they don't have a good season we could see them have some of the same struggles Madison went through, and possibly fall out of Finals.  I know, gasp, but who would've thought that about the Scouts back in the '90s and before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, afd said:

Really..Quote me that? Do that. Really Cadets fans. Is this what this is now. Fine.

Grow up.

In many ways, I feel the cadets learned the wrong lesson from their 2015 and in watching this year, I wished I was watching 1983 so about this modern thing just to be modern, just be the Cadets but spare the cheese  

• Like 1

I always hate it when I hear "but this is a competitive activity!" Nearly everything is a competitive activity, but it's not competition itself that draws one to it! In fact, the more I'm focused on the competition aspect of DCI, the less I enjoy the activity and the shows.

• Like 1