Cadets 2018

13 minutes ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

I really think Age of Anxiety is one of the best choices for next season. I would love a sort of minimalist show, just featuring the music, mainly percussion!

not sure Cadets style lends itself to that - more up SCV wheel house IMO

personally the piece makes me sleepy - I have to be in the right mood to enjoy it, even though it is quite well composed 

28 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

yes - but it doesn't impact them as much as other corps (as you mention) due to their TOC status

Non-regional, non-TOC shows they will appear earlier, sometimes prior to intermission

The first big regional (SAT) will help them seed later in the following regionals next year IF they do better

As you mention the TOC shows are random - so everyone takes their turn going first and last etc

Finally - home shows (they sponsor several) the host get to go last

So - it impacts about a third of the shows -- subtracting TOC, regionals, home shows - they will have to go earlier

It is not a good thing!

It should be noted that a lot of corps get to be in TOC shows besides the original G7.  The Crossmen were in five TOC shows this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

not sure Cadets style lends itself to that - more up SCV wheel house IMO

personally the piece makes me sleepy - I have to be in the right mood to enjoy it, even though it is quite well composed 

That ending in 1997...chills every time.  But agree with you that just not have the vibe that Cadets do.  Sure they could perform it well enough but would not feel right...

Cadets will have to sacrifice a little sleep to get the same amount of rehearsal time...welcome to the masses.

2 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

One of the upcoming realities of the upcoming season is when the Cadets will tend to compete.  

They are now in the 7th to 9th rotation of competition order with Phantom and BK.  So, in competitions where there are top 6 corps, they'll always go on earlier.  Of course, this would change in competitions that have full randomization (TOC*) and when they eventually get seeded for the Regionals based on their scores.

For hardcore Cadets fans who always skipped the lower corps and showed up later for competitions, they'll have to get accustomed to arriving earlier.

* I believe TOC shows do complete randomization, but someone will have to confirm that.

I think this will be one of the nice challenges for the Cadets. There is less pressure when you're not in the top 3 and are trying to follow up your great show with another great show. Bluecoats were very daring and risky this year with that monumental production of theirs, but ultimately it made things difficult for them to repeat or even stay top 3. There was a lot of pressure on Bloo, but I am glad they took the path they did.

Cadets will not be considered a contender next season, and almost no one will pick them to be top 3.  I think they can relax and develop a fun show without worrying what people think. They can clean and tweak and edit and clean some more...and maybe over time push back into the mix. 

Despite their 7th place finish this year, it was a very good show that made BIG improvement over the summer. But only being 1 year removed from the 2016 show, even 2015, I feel their was still pressure on the Cadets (members and staff) to fix the wrongs of the past 3 seasons. That never should have been the mandate.

To me this was a new Cadets, a new era, even with GH still at the helm. I personally am not one in favor of him retiring.  If he decides to, good for him and he will be remembered fondly for decades to come in this activity. But if he stays on 1 or 2 more years I do not have a problem with that. I'd like to change his mind about narration and gimmicks, but I also must give him credit for hiring some fine staff who created this show, for an amazing vocal group and the best use of ensemble vocals I've ever heard in DCI, and for the Cadets continuing to have a wonderful and lyrical music book. We don't get enough of those in DCI. The Cadets played beautiful music that also had some edge to it in a few spots. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

yes - but it doesn't impact them as much as other corps (as you mention) due to their TOC status

Non-regional, non-TOC shows they will appear earlier, sometimes prior to intermission

The first big regional (SAT) will help them seed later in the following regionals next year IF they do better

As you mention the TOC shows are random - so everyone takes their turn going first and last etc

Finally - home shows (they sponsor several) the host get to go last

So - it impacts about a third of the shows -- subtracting TOC, regionals, home shows - they will have to go earlier

It is not a good thing!

there is a positive....by outperforming those before them by wide margins, judges with balls will have room to put corps after them if they do not match what the Cadets did.

1 hour ago, Sideways said:

That ending in 1997...chills every time.  But agree with you that just not have the vibe that Cadets do.  Sure they could perform it well enough but would not feel right...

depends on the arrangement.

22 hours ago, besson57 said:

That was my introduction to drum corps. I was a freshman in high school (in Central PA), and my high school band directors were big fans of the Cadets. We did a West Side Story show that year, and had several cadets come to help instruct during the fall. I'd like to see Cadets do it on the field again, but differently than before, like they did this year with the mass.

what school district were you in?  i am from south central PA.

https://yea.org/news/1761-cadets-begin-search-to-add-staff-to-drum-corps-admin-positions

Expectations regarding time commitments:

Four day work weeks

Two - three Saturdays and weekends in the Fall and Winter

All weekends from May through Labor Day

The position is NOT for the weak of spirit. The Director of Performing Ensembles is part of the leadership team, they report directly to George Hopkins, and at some capacity over 100 people will report to them. This will include drivers, volunteers and staff. 

The person selected must relocate to the Allentown area, they must LOVE the work, and the sooner the better in terms of start time. The salary is most likely in the area of $50,000 although there can be adjustments based on abilities and experience.

Give your life to GH for "in the area of $50,000"?!?!?!

• Like 1