Cadets 2018

Just now, oldcadetsop said:

The ballad is a beautiful piece of music. Contrasts the volatile of the remainder of the score. Brilliant score by Mr. Bernstein.

Absolutely 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oldcadetsop said:

What would they have to lose by bucking the trend at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I love what is currently happening in DCI. But it would be awesome for Cadets to do Waterfront, a powerfull story and music and just say ya know what. Here ya go.

I get what you're saying and I agree. This option allows the corps to do both and quite well. Not such a theatercal source such as WSS or Candice would allow for a straight forward Cadet classic with some moments of depth and substance

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldcadetsop said:

The ballad is a beautiful piece of music. Contrasts the volatile of the remainder of the score. Brilliant score by Mr. Bernstein.

16 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

the i could have been a contender scene;

That horn solo....:inlove:

• Like 2

I think it is perfect time to lol experiment and buck the trend. I think Waterfront is powerfull, yet beautiful.  Make it solid, fierce and beautiful.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I get what you're saying and I agree. This option allows the corps to do both and quite well. Not such a theatercal source such as WSS or Candice would allow for a straight forward Cadet classic with some moments of depth and substance

Exactly. Make refrence points but not oversell literally. Make a monster hornline and an in your face percussion line with a solid guard and an in you face drill.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oldcadetsop said:

Exactly. Make refrence points but not oversell literally. Make a monster hornline and an in your face percussion line with a solid guard and an in you face drill.

I'm glad my points about the literal nature of Cadets programs is being mentioned elsewhere in people's posts :) I agree with the above

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm glad my points about the literal nature of Cadets programs is being mentioned elsewhere in people's posts :) I agree with the above

I have openly stated that Cadets have become to literal. Some years over the past 10 the have been not so literal. But in the years they have its overbearing. Let the product, music, drill, guard, percussion speak for themselves.  For the most part, I think the average person already knows what the story of the music you are playing is about. Just do not shove it down my throat.

That said, Cadets are not the only culprits.

Why is there a need these days to tell a story? I get it if you are playing Phantom, Les Miz.  etc. Give the audience a chance and not be bombarded. They/we are a bit smarter than given credit for.

Edited by oldcadetsop
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldcadetsop said:

I have openly stated that Cadets have become to literal. Some years over the past 10 the have been not so literal. But in the years they have its overbearing. Let the product, music, drill, guard, percussion speak for themselves.  For the most part, I think the average person already knows what the story of the music you are playing is about. Just do not shove it down my throat.

That said, Cadets are not the only culprits.

Why is there a need these days to tell a story? I get it if you are playing Phantom, Les Miz.  etc. Give the audience a chance and not be bombarded. They/we are a bit smarter than given credit for.

Well said!

9 hours ago, oldcadetsop said:

I have openly stated that Cadets have become to literal.

If they are going to do Bernstein, a great example to look to is 97 SCV. A perfect collection of Bernstein tunes with nothing literal about the show.

13 hours ago, oldcadetsop said:

I agree. But given the current state of body movement, etc. it may be a tuff sell. I am with you tho. Play to the strength of the corps.  

BTW, I have a set of the fabric of the boxing rings George.

Just think how fresh some boxing-style body movement would look on the field. Those 86 boxing rings were great!

• Like 1