Cadets 2018

4 hours ago, GlenI said:

I actually came to like the choral work once they got the balance right. However, when it comes to narration, there are very few situations where I think it adds to the artistic impact of the show. I think narration is like habanero peppers in that a little bit goes a very long way. But I think the choral work added a lot to the effect of Mass this year. There is a lot that can be done with live choral groups if treated like a harmonic section (akin to the score for brass). While I thought that Crown's vocalist was nearly Broadway quality this year, there are examples (too numerous to mention) from other groups over the years where the vocalists detracted from the ensemble performances. Just my $.02.

I felt this way as well about the vocals.  Was the brass doubling the vocalist?  Then the left hand was likely not talking to the right.  Crown did a good job, I hate to admit, giving the brass a complimentary (backup?) part to the singer in the ballad, and it made sense.  Boston didn't so much, but at least had the singer doing something interesting (with the dude in the stocks) to watch while they doubled down on the first half of the chorus. 

I'm ok with the choir if they come back, I'm okay if they don't.  Just don't narrate the show at me, please.

Mike

23 hours ago, MikeN said:

I felt this way as well about the vocals.  Was the brass doubling the vocalist?  Then the left hand was likely not talking to the right.  Crown did a good job, I hate to admit, giving the brass a complimentary (backup?) part to the singer in the ballad, and it made sense.  Boston didn't so much, but at least had the singer doing something interesting (with the dude in the stocks) to watch while they doubled down on the first half of the chorus. 

I'm ok with the choir if they come back, I'm okay if they don't.  Just don't narrate the show at me, please.

Mike

I agree.  Cadets 2014 is the best example of narration distracting from what otherwise could have been one of the all-time great shows. However, in the context of the mass, I thought it was complimentary. The only problem is the more talking, the less music, and that can't be a good thing for the score. 

On 8/23/2017 at 4:26 AM, Bobby L. Collins said:

Marching woodwinds.  May as well just deliver the coup-de-grace and get it over with.  I mean, that's all that's left, innit?

I am of two minds on this. On one hand, the brass sound is unlike anything else and I would hate to dilute it (although some would argue that the electronics has already). On the other hand, there are some great musicians out there. I would definitely NOT want to see brass replaced by woodwinds. If they insist on going down that road, let the corps size expand to 150 plus a maximum number of "other" (winds and voices), like 16-24. 

1 hour ago, Icer said:

I am of two minds on this. On one hand, the brass sound is unlike anything else and I would hate to dilute it (although some would argue that the electronics has already). On the other hand, there are some great musicians out there. I would definitely NOT want to see brass replaced by woodwinds. If they insist on going down that road, let the corps size expand to 150 plus a maximum number of "other" (winds and voices), like 16-24. 

IMO - As with vocals and voice, I see no value to adding wood winds. Other than something else to distract from the uniqueness that has made drum corps special. Sometimes you have to ask what makes this activity special?

If there's nothing that separates drum corps from marching band except for fees, auditions and touring, why would anyone pay to be apart of it when it cost practically nothing to be in the local high school or university marching band? There are already plenty of successful band circuits. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Icer said:

I bet BD could have a 16 person sax section that would be amazing

3 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

IMO - As with vocals and voice, I see no value to adding wood winds. Other than something else to distract from the uniqueness that has made drum corps special. Sometimes you have to ask what makes this activity special?

If there's nothing that separates drum corps from marching band except for fees, auditions and touring, why would anyone pay to be apart of it when it cost practically nothing to be in the local high school or university marching band? There are already plenty of successful band circuits. 

It's the intensity. Nothing in my HS or college band experience came close to the incredible challenge and personal tranformation of my rookie season, or the sheer difficulty of pushing myself to the edge of my abilities like marching Cadets. Then there's the touring and social aspects...

Edited by FTNK
clarity of writing

8 minutes ago, FTNK said:

I bet BD could have a 16 person sax section that would be amazing

I'm not a fan of the idea of woodwinds in drum corps, but if I ran the world I'd make an exception for this.  LOL

And if anyone asked me why... I'd say, "Blue Devils... THAT'S why!!!"  :tongue:

• Like 1

On 8/21/2017 at 1:49 PM, xandandl said:

Most children learn by kindergarten that this for tat is not the most mature, adult way to act.

Guess someone's in the Path of Total Darkness.

no don't start quoting Yoda

There seems to be a feeling that woodwinds are inevitable in drum corps...As a fan of drum corps this would be the proverbial straw that would break this camel's back...I enjoy drum corps but the more it morphs, losing it's uniqueness, leaves me less passionate about the activity...All brass please!!!You have synth's that reproduce everything else so why consider woodwinds..Drum corps for me is a steak from Peter Luger's..add woodwinds and it becomes a Nathan's hot dog.JMO

• Like 2