Cadets 2018

15 minutes ago, dans said:

I disagree...but that's OK. There had to be some downside for the Cadets to take 8th in percussion. Their tape does not speak of any real downside to their performance.

It's Semis...by that point not much can be said for it to be constructive to change for the next day.

It's always going to be mostly positive, go listen to any semis or finals tapes from previous years.

Edited by snare_guy_83
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, dans said:

I disagree...but that's OK. There had to be some downside for the Cadets to take 8th in percussion. Their tape does not speak of any real downside to their performance.

Does DCI allow for any formal or informal debriefing between judges and corps after the season is over?

2 hours ago, snare_guy_83 said:

It's Semis...by that point not much can be said for it to be constructive to change for the next day.

It's always going to be mostly positive, go listen to any semis or finals tapes from previous years.

I think the Cadets tape goes beyond mostly positive. I realize the Cadets pit had some issues and the battery staging could have been better. With that said, I believe the Cadets percussion was under valued by the judging community all season. Obviously this is just my opinion. I have been involved in this activity for a long time...I know a good percussion section when I see it. The Cadets 2017 was an outstanding percussion section and I'm of the opinion that they were under scored. All are welcome to think they weren't...not a problem.

Edited by dans
  • Like 2

One year ago the Cadets thread was at 71 pages and picking up steam.  So far a much calmer offseason (not only for the Cadets thread). It is still early in the off season and the staff movement cone of silence is still in place for a few more days.  I'm going out on a limb here and guessing there is a bit more acceptance that there will be more change over the next several months as corps' plan for next year,  and a satisfactory product will emerge for all Cadet supporters.    I wish you all the best.

• Like 1

It really is funny, legitimately funny, to me that there are people who believe they can judge better than trained professionals. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dans said:

No, the numbers do not make sense based on his commentary. I don't care how great the judge is or the fact that there is only one show to go. Either his comments were fluff or the numbers were meaningless. Period!

lets see...book, 935, almost mid box 5, performance, 92, low box 5. book .55 out of first, performance 6 tenths out. 10 teams popped box 5 numbers in book, 8 teams in performance. yep, tape matches the numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dans said:

yet you have no idea what was said to the others minus Crowns whose tape was released.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dans said:

I think the Cadets tape goes beyond mostly positive. I realize the Cadets pit had some issues and the battery staging could have been better. With that said, I believe the Cadets percussion was under valued by the judging community all season. Obviously this is just my opinion. I have been involved in this activity for a long time...I know a good percussion section when I see it. The Cadets 2017 was an outstanding percussion section and I'm of the opinion that they were under scored. All are welcome to think they weren't...not a problem.

book...easy. long gaps of silence.there's your spread.  performance...issues mentioned on the tape. at that level at that time of year, minor issues are actually huge.

Were they a great line? yes, I wont deny that, i enjoyed them immensely. Were there other great and even better lines ahead of them? yes, very much so. The quality at the top is incredible, and someone has to win and someone has to lose. And as it's been said....on semis, what can you tell a team that would make an incredible adjustment to shoot up several tenths in one day?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

book...easy. long gaps of silence.there's your spread.  performance...issues mentioned on the tape. at that level at that time of year, minor issues are actually huge.

Were they a great line? yes, I wont deny that, i enjoyed them immensely. Were there other great and even better lines ahead of them? yes, very much so. The quality at the top is incredible, and someone has to win and someone has to lose. And as it's been said....on semis, what can you tell a team that would make an incredible adjustment to shoot up several tenths in one day?

You have your opinions, I have mine. You have a desire to validate your opinions more than I do. I really don't care who agrees with me. I don't need anyone to validate my opinions. Although, I do know some very bright percussion people who share my opinions about Cadets 2017 percussion. And you think Cadets percussion was easy? OK...you're entitled to your opinions.

29 minutes ago, dans said:

You have your opinions, I have mine. You have a desire to validate your opinions more than I do. I really don't care who agrees with me. I don't need anyone to validate my opinions. Although, I do know some very bright percussion people who share my opinions about Cadets 2017 percussion. And you think Cadets percussion was easy? OK...you're entitled to your opinions.

You haven't seemed to want to validate at all, all you've done is complain about Cadets score and placement. At least @Jeff Ream gave some rationale as to why the scores and therefore placement would be what they were. And I'm sure there are "bright percussion people" that have a variety of opinions. Cadets were great. Cavaliers were great. BK were great. Everyone was great. 

All Olympians are amazing athletes, but yet some of them finish in like 20th place. And for subjective scoring like gymnastics all that's given by the judge is a total score, at least you got some commentary and insight.

Be happy with what you have, enjoy the sweet beats, and respect the members and what they have accomplished.