Cadets 2018

6 hours ago, Liahona said:

Thought that was GH...Mr. micro-manage himself...

What this show needs is Jesus and a cross!!

I don't even know where to start.  GH says the show "worked the way the wanted it to" and that they were happy with the result.

It seems he just wants to live in his little PA bubble oblivious to what is going on in DCI as a whole.  Is he content to be a 7-10th place corps?? 

His comments on DCA and the activity in general seem to give the impression that he longs for the era where corps were locally based and all of the members came from the local region to fill the corps.  Cadets came to fame with members they bused up to NJ from the SE in the 80s.

I really don't get this approach or what he is angling for or trying to achieve.

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

I don't even know where to start.  GH says the show "worked the way the wanted it to" and that they were happy with the result.

It seems he just wants to live in his little PA bubble oblivious to what is going on in DCI as a whole.  Is he content to be a 7-10th place corps?? 

His comments on DCA and the activity in general seem to give the impression that he longs for the era where corps were locally based and all of the members came from the local region to fill the corps.  Cadets came to fame with members they bused up to NJ from the SE in the 80s.

I really don't get this approach or what he is angling for or trying to achieve.

When his corps has an entirely new design staff working together for the first time, PLUS the corps has a younger, less experienced membership, I can understand being content with 7th place for a year. Everyone here knows that in the long run, George won't be content with a consistent 7th place finish. But for one year, in the conditions they faced, I don't think they mind. It set up a good foundation for the future of the corps.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

The guy, younger than I am by a decade,  is grandparent age even without grandchildren. He has the same nostalgia the AARPers have, the ones constantly living on their laurels, and tired of trying something new. TIRED is the operative word. That's why he is enamored with DCA weekend warrriors. Not as much travel, not as much pressure, other aspects of life can be enjoyed.

One of the things I most admire about Don Warren, Founder of the Cavaliers, is that Don had the wisdom of knowing when to say enough is enough and to hand the reigns of the operation to Adolph DeGrauwe who did the same when he became an established grandparent. Corps board meetings were enough for them plus showing at the local shows and occasional regionals. As we all saw this summer, the corps thrives well.

A similar pattern is seen with Kevin and Moe Smith, co-founders of Caroline Crown with others as they handed the reins of the reign over to Jim Coates. And now Jim, due to health issues and approaching retirement is preparing for the same on a nearing horizon.

.Or Dave Gibbs stepping back at BD and hiring Justim Heimsbecker for BDPA.

Or, etc., et al., et omnium.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Visual design and drill was a disaster last year so I'm not expecting much improvement with the same team.

Who's the brass caption head going to be?

It was buggy and/or overbearing at times, but by no stretch of the imagination was the visual design a disaster last year.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

It was buggy and/or overbearing at times, but by no stretch of the imagination was the visual design a disaster last year.

I thought they did some daring things, most notably marching backwards at an angle between the pews. You can pick apart the performances and design but the reality is, it was a very poorly conceived design concept from day 1. Not unlike Statues/Stoned and Ten.