Cadets 2018

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I thought they did some daring things, most notably marching backwards at an angle between the pews. You can pick apart the performances and design but the reality is, it was a very poorly conceived design concept from day 1. Not unlike Statues/Stoned and Ten. 

Ten was a good concept and design early on that was completely tanked by ill-conceived tweaks late in the season. 

Stoned was a disaster of a design from from Day 1, though I know most people on here were intrigued by the concept when it was first announced.

Triple F was miles ahead of Stoned by Finals, probably on par with late 2015 in terms of design. The biggest problem by the end of the year was execution. 

33 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Ten was a good concept and design early on that was completely tanked by ill-conceived tweaks late in the season. 

Stoned was a disaster of a design from from Day 1, though I know most people on here were intrigued by the concept when it was first announced.

Triple F was miles ahead of Stoned by Finals, probably on par with late 2015 in terms of design. The biggest problem by the end of the year was execution. 

We will agree to disagree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 - bad, dated, boring concept

Stoned/Awakening - I was excited about it initially bc I thought it was a concept they could use well to modernize, but it went horribly wrong.

FFF - just hated the direction they chose to go being so literal.  They could have taken an approach with the same music that would have connected with young people and potential members.  Opportunity lost, and not only that a continuation in the wrong direction to me.

Now, who knows, my hope was that some powerhouse staff would be hired to start attracting better talent again and move the corps up the ranks, but doesn't appear to be happening.

So, they will just sit in the 7-10 range.....maybe some are fine with that.

Edited by cadet93
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

Now, who knows, my hope was that some powerhouse staff would be hired to start attracting better talent again and move the corps up the ranks, but doesn't appear to be happening.

Who is available for them to hire that is an upgrade from their current staff? Aungst is still a #### big deal on the East Coast, and the brass and guard staffs are definitely recognizable.

The Cadets won't sit in that range, and they don't want to either. Drop that narrative.

4 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

When his corps has an entirely new design staff working together for the first time, PLUS the corps has a younger, less experienced membership, I can understand being content with 7th place for a year. Everyone here knows that in the long run, George won't be content with a consistent 7th place finish. But for one year, in the conditions they faced, I don't think they mind. It set up a good foundation for the future of the corps.

Exactly. Maybe move up a place or a couple next year and then they have a sense of momentum 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cadet93 said:

10 - bad, dated, boring concept

Stoned/Awakening - I was excited about it initially bc I thought it was a concept they could use well to modernize, but it went horribly wrong.

FFF - just hated the direction they chose to go being so literal.  They could have taken an approach with the same music that would have connected with young people and potential members.  Opportunity lost, and not only that a continuation in the wrong direction to me.

I'm surprised to find I pretty much agree with all of this 

46 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm surprised to find I pretty much agree with all of this 

I agree with every word of it. Like it or not, the overall design concept of a show is crucially important now. You can't just pull a title out of a hat and build a show around it and think you are going to beat the top half of dci. And it seems as if you also cannot build and rebuild a show as the season progresses. Judges are wise to cheese nowadays.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Exactly. Maybe move up a place or a couple next year and then they have a sense of momentum 

Whether George is content with seventh place finishes is irrelevant. He isn't a competent show designer, and as long as he insists on micromanaging the concepts, I don't see any reasonable hope of things changing for cadets. The corps ahead of them are just better now in every phase of the activity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Whether George is content with seventh place finishes is irrelevant. He isn't a competent show designer, and as long as he insists on micromanaging the concepts, I don't see any reasonable hope of things changing for cadets. The corps ahead of them are just better now in every phase of the activity.

Agreed, we will see what announcements the couple weeks ahead have.  If there is no "Creative Director" announced, then more of the same...even if one is announced, they could be gone to never be heard of again by January....

And BTW....what is the distinction between a Creative Director and a Program Coordinator.  Is there one?

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

Agreed, we will see what announcements the couple weeks ahead have.  If there is no "Creative Director" announced, then more of the same...even if one is announced, they could be gone to never be heard of again by January....

And BTW....what is the distinction between a Creative Director and a Program Coordinator.  Is there one?

Four words:

Sal Salas

Marc Sylvester

• Like 2