Cadets 2018

43 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Wasn't someone saying Hopkins has let go of the reigns for design?? Doesn't seem like it..

I'll see it when I believe it.

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Wasn't someone saying Hopkins has let go of the reigns for design?? Doesn't seem like it..

As geriatrics age, some become docile, sentimental, adaptable and more pleasant.

Others become stodgy, entrenched, stubborn, and intractable.

Sadly we can shoot for the one but actually become the other. Time will tell.

13 hours ago, xandandl said:

Note how some are claiming still that Cadets' drill this summer was a disaster, but no one has commented that the same drill writer wrote for the Reading Bucs this summer with their almost perfect visual and GE scores. I know it is DCA, not DCI, and some will claim its an apple and oranges comparison, but congratulations to Bobby Jones.

And the other Mr. Templin did a nice job with bronze winning C2.

I'm glad Bobby is back with Cadets. He did a great job if you ask me. I honestly don't recall too many people picking on Cadets drill. Some folks didn't care for the robes and felt they took away from legs and feet, from overall technique. I thought the drill was good. In fact, to me Cadets had a good mix of staging and traditional drill. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FTNK said:

Gonna be a long time until they get back to the top, if they get back to the top. Just my educated prediction.

My prediction too.  Hopkins seems to have shifted to this weird blame the DCI system angle.

The fact is their talent level dropped substantially, and they designed a show that alienated many.  Glad the show "worked as you envisioned".

Now he appears to be moving forward in his alternate universe.  

Drew and Tom are great, and musically I see reasons to be encouraged.  I just still find them directionless visually.  Not totally losing hope until the creative staff of the guard is announced, but yeah its gonna be years if ever. 

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

My prediction too.  Hopkins seems to have shifted to this weird blame the DCI system angle.

The fact is their talent level dropped substantially, and they designed a show that alienated many.  Glad the show "worked as you envisioned".

Now he appears to be moving forward in his alternate universe.  

Drew and Tom are great, and musically I see reasons to be encouraged.  I just still find them directionless visually.  Not totally losing hope until the creative staff of the guard is announced, but yeah its gonna be years if ever. 

I get that vibe 

but I do very much like this team

the staff are great with the members and with better retention heading into 2018 I predict a third or fourth place finish for the cadets type performance. They will be much improved

as far as design Hop had good ideas (like the slow ending vs run and gun this past summer) but the question is editing ideas, Jesus and the 3 wise men / can I get an amen? / mass has ended etc where a step too far. You also mention robes which I also feel were a step too far. The middle uniform and remove the jacket for the closer (out of sight) for a cream closer would have propelled that program higher. Alongside more cleaning and less changes

cadets big challenge now is to attract top talent to fill out the fewer open spots once they offer contracts to the returning folks who did well in 2017

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I get that vibe 

but I do very much like this team

the staff are great with the members and with better retention heading into 2018 I predict a third or fourth place finish for the cadets type performance. They will be much improved

as far as design Hop had good ideas (like the slow ending vs run and gun this past summer) but the question is editing ideas, Jesus and the 3 wise men / can I get an amen? / mass has ended etc where a step too far. You also mention robes which I also feel were a step too far. The middle uniform and remove the jacket for the closer (out of sight) for a cream closer would have propelled that program higher. Alongside more cleaning and less changes

cadets big challenge now is to attract top talent to fill out the fewer open spots once they offer contracts to the returning folks who did well in 2017

Love your positive thinking even though most likely will not happen. 6th might be the place to go for.

15 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Neve mind, not worth it..

Clearly it was, or you wouldn't have attempted. 

I'm just saying, for someone who's always talking about they don't care about Cadets, those same people are always on here complaining about Cadets. 

• Like 1

In case you aren't Vols or Tech fans, 2 players had a close encounter with a Tech marimba and a Cadets player in last night's Kickoff game.

• Like 1