Cadets 2018

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I get that vibe 

but I do very much like this team

the staff are great with the members and with better retention heading into 2018 I predict a third or fourth place finish for the cadets type performance. They will be much improved

as far as design Hop had good ideas (like the slow ending vs run and gun this past summer) but the question is editing ideas, Jesus and the 3 wise men / can I get an amen? / mass has ended etc where a step too far. You also mention robes which I also feel were a step too far. The middle uniform and remove the jacket for the closer (out of sight) for a cream closer would have propelled that program higher. Alongside more cleaning and less changes

cadets big challenge now is to attract top talent to fill out the fewer open spots once they offer contracts to the returning folks who did well in 2017

the big problems IMO are:

the need to be over literal. Stop. Sometimes less is more

stop changing big things once August hits. clean, clean clean. the days of huge changes a week out and being able to clean enough are over.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

In case you aren't Vols or Tech fans, 2 players had a close encounter with a Tech marimba and a Cadets player in last night's Kickoff game.

i hope the marimba is ok

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the big problems IMO are:

the need to be over literal. Stop. Sometimes less is more

stop changing big things once August hits. clean, clean clean. the days of huge changes a week out and being able to clean enough are over.

I know they're two different circuits but I've always wondered why the Cadets shows are always trying to tell a story vs. Cadets2 who perform less literal shows and place better. A minimalistic Cadets show that isn't telling a complex story would be great. Or a show with a title/theme and that's it.

Edited by 20XXMM

1 hour ago, cadet93 said:

I just dont see who they are going to leap frog.  All of the top 6 are hungry and seem to know what the current state of the activity is better than Cadets.  Bluecoats will be looking to rebound with their all star staff.  People are already hyping Cavies.  Id be surprised if BD and SCV are not 1-2 again.  Boston is only improving with their staff.

And I would say Crown is going to fall, but they proved me wrong this year......sorry just dont see it, but I will happily eat my words.

look I know bashing Hop is a great game for all, but it's 9/6. Even as open as Hop is with everything, who knows what could be yet. I realize alumni want an instant return to the top, but the talent pool at the top of DCI is far greater than it's ever been. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 20XXMM said:

I know they're two different circuits but I've always wondered why the Cadets shows are always trying to tell a story vs. Cadets2 who perform less literal shows and place better. A minimalistic Cadets show that isn't telling a complex story would be great. Or a show with a title/theme and that's it.

different sheets and Hop isnt as hands on with design at C2. IMO this year it seems like C2 tried to tell a story yet it wasnt really fleshed out, and it confused some people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

different sheets and Hop isnt as hands on with design at C2. IMO this year it seems like C2 tried to tell a story yet it wasnt really fleshed out, and it confused some people.

He does chime in for C2 but it's mostly Rich and Caption heads that decide things there. This year for them just felt like an 80s throwback and that's perfectly fine, it was fairly a simple gift. :sigh:

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Hey I think with 45-54 brass returning and most of the percussion and almost all the guard weapons AND the team with a year under them 2018 will be a major step forward. And everyone feel free to keep a mental note and call me out if it doesn't happen. 

I read this quickly and first thought you were talking about another corps.  Seemed to be a similar description.

24 minutes ago, 20XXMM said:

He does chime in for C2 but it's mostly Rich and Caption heads that decide things there. This year for them just felt like an 80s throwback and that's perfectly fine, it was fairly a simple gift. :sigh:

Rich knows DCA better than pretty much anyone not at Bucs....even if pre-season show info said simple gifts and then became once upon a life or something

1 hour ago, cadet93 said:

I can say that at Nightbeat which was my only live show this summer.  Several especially younger members of the audience left during Cadets.  I also heard several people around me telling their friends Cadets "used to be good". The response to the show was polite, but by no means enthusiastic.

Doesnt seem like great PR to me. 

I was at Nightbeat and didn't see or experience this at all. It was a polite crowd response compared to Crown. But most around me enjoyed the show, especially the ending. Even heard an audible "Wow". Point being, just depends where you sit. Can't characterize all 12,000 audience members based on just the people next to you

• Like 1