Cadets 2018

1 hour ago, Brass34 said:

When the Cavaliers hit a rough patch,  The people I know predicted they would make a fairly quick recovery (they did). 

I would imagine a " quick recovery " is a matter of perspective. Young people ,(not all, but some) tend to have a short memory span. The Cavaliers, after winning DCI in 2006, were still medalists in 2010, 2011. But fell from medalist to 8th in 2012. Its been a SLOW climb back for the Cavaliers, imo.  Once they fell to 8th, they suffered in mid tier with placements of 7th, 6th, 9th, 5th, then 5th ( but 4th on Finals Night ) this season. Its been 6 years and counting since they have been a medaliat contending Corps once again. They MIGHT be back to contending for medals again, but that still remains to be seen....... SCV was a medalist finishing Corps in 2004. But fell to 8th in 2005. It took them 13 years,until this season, to return to a medalist Corps, hardly a " quick recovery " unless one has a very long patience and time frame. But since this thread is referring to " the young ":, I'm not so sure that anything over 2-3 years at most is considered a " fairly quick recovery  time" with many of them. But... who knows.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm curious what the general perception of the corps is in younger eyes.  I've certainly lost some of the awe that first got me hooked on them in the 90s.  But when we show quarter-finals to our marching band kids at band camp, the response seems generally tepid from them as well.

I know that's not the case for the Cadet MMs, so they are drawing interest.  It just seems like the air around the corps has grown stale to a degree, while that around Bloo, Crown, BD, SCV, and even Cavies is more electric.  

Is that an issue, or am I seeing things that aren't there?  If so... how do they get their swagger back?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

I'm curious what the general perception of the corps is in younger eyes.  I've certainly lost some of the awe that first got me hooked on them in the 90s.  But when we show quarter-finals to our marching band kids at band camp, the response seems generally tepid from them as well.

I know that's not the case for the Cadet MMs, so they are drawing interest.  It just seems like the air around the corps has grown stale to a degree, while that around Bloo, Crown, BD, SCV, and even Cavies is more electric.  

Is that an issue, or am I seeing things that aren't there?  If so... how do they get their swagger back?

If this year's show is the limit of the disucssion, you are comparing 5 high energy programs with one that straddled a lot of nuance. Not that the others didn't have that but only the closer of the Cadets' show generated the manic energy teens like. I taught high school for a number of years and found that so true on a number of levels, not just drum corps. Even the robotic matches have turned into high energy slug fests akin to WWE or NASCAR rather than the expertise required for Olympic figure skating or even slalom skiing. It's the hormone thing for the adolescents......and sometimes for the adults as well. 

I wouldn't limit it to just this past year.  And I'm not sure it has to do with the energy of the field show.  I'm talking about the overall perception of the corps.  Cavies are certainly regaining the mojo they lost when Gaines left.  BD hasn't missed a step.  SCV still carries the mantle of DCI's classiest act.  Crown and Bloo are relative newcomers to the top, but have some #### long souvie lines.

I just don't get the sense from Cadets anymore that people are excited about them.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

I wouldn't limit it to just this past year.  And I'm not sure it has to do with the energy of the field show.  I'm talking about the overall perception of the corps.  Cavies are certainly regaining the mojo they lost when Gaines left.  BD hasn't missed a step.  SCV still carries the mantle of DCI's classiest act.  Crown and Bloo are relative newcomers to the top, but have some #### long souvie lines.

I just don't get the sense from Cadets anymore that people are excited about them.

I would dare say Cadets have rarely been the band kids' "cool corps" 

Maybe 2011? Prior to that maybe back in the 80s/90s a couple seasons

1 hour ago, chaddyt said:

Since I'm one of ,"the young(not for long)" it comes down to where one thinks they may enjoy themselves the most, perform for crowds that will respond highly to their show, meet people that have similar interests, learn by great staff members. Have a caring group of admins that make sure certain things come first before others.

Main thing, shows. I love the Cadets but people within my age range grew up in highschool seeing The Cadets of 2008-2015. Many friends now march there and love their show but one thing is for sure, they want to defy the naysayers. People that march Cadetasdon't just want to win or be the new bando circlejerk corps. Personally I think they just need a good vehicle that will invoke the responses they're seeking, the 2017 closer was glorious but compared to the top 6 shows they had multiple portions of their shows that gave such a response from the crowd. 

But what do I know, I should go ageout. :bored:

Edited by 20XXMM

I have lost all optimism for the Cadets. Puzzled why Hopkins is still listed as design staff. He needs to remove himself from the design process and hire a show coordinator/concept person. You can't overcome poor concept/design with bad props, tarps, voice, continuous changes mid-season, and cheese! They continue to make the same mistakes and expect different results! It really shouldn't be this difficult for the Cadets to get back on track...sad to watch!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Brass34 said:

How young are we talking? I'm 23 and I still consider Cadets as being part of the elite group. They won the Ott two years ago lol. The way some of you speak, it's like it has been a generation since Cadets were great.

When the Cavaliers hit a rough patch, I don't remember it being doom/gloom or "they used to be good". The people I know predicted they would make a fairly quick recovery (they did). And now Cadets find themselves in a similar situation. They'll figure it out. The 10 time world champion with the largest alumni network won't stay down for too long

Rough patch for the Cavies...they last won it in 2006. Last medal year was 2010. It's not a patch....it's a total do over. Whether they will ever win again is anyone guess. They had a great year this year. But the top is a lot harder to break into than 10 yrs. ago. Beat BD and you're CHAMPS.....plain and simple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

If this year's show is the limit of the disucssion, you are comparing 5 high energy programs with one that straddled a lot of nuance.

Are we talking about the same show?