Cadets 2018

11 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Are we talking about the same show? 

yah, much of the drill sets were individual acting and interpretations apart from the last feature. Choir was filled with nuances and variations. Not all of the Cadets show was bells and DeMille epics.

PS. I am pming you about survey.

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

If this year's show is the limit of the disucssion, you are comparing 5 high energy programs with one that straddled a lot of nuance. Not that the others didn't have that but only the closer of the Cadets' show generated the manic energy teens like. I taught high school for a number of years and found that so true on a number of levels, not just drum corps. Even the robotic matches have turned into high energy slug fests akin to WWE or NASCAR rather than the expertise required for Olympic figure skating or even slalom skiing. It's the hormone thing for the adolescents......and sometimes for the adults as well. 

The cadets show was a lot of things this past season...nuance was NOT one of them...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, afd said:

Rough patch for the Cavies...they last won it in 2006. Last medal year was 2010. It's not a patch....it's a total do over. Whether they will ever win again is anyone guess. They had a great year this year. But the top is a lot harder to break into than 10 yrs. ago. Beat BD and you're CHAMPS.....plain and simple.

Actually Cavies medaled in 2011 too. 2012-2015 were "down years" after a huge staff shake up. Propaganda signaled "We're back". And they've carried that momentum to this year, passing up the reigning world champs. Essentially it took 4 seasons to get their mojo back. From my perspective, that's pretty quick. But I agree, stiffer competition nowadays. Just being top 5 is incredibly difficult. 

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

The cadets show was a lot of things this past season...nuance was NOT one of them...

And Cappybara asked if we are talking about the same show.

My response:  Both of you seem to be mixing subtlety and nuance which are not the same, the same way most people incorrectly interchange presume and assume which have two different meanings in educated English.

The Cadets show was not subtle, I agree.  But it was nuanced in its layerings, individual acting and interpretations, charactertures, and variation of emotions.

refer Cambridge Dictionary of the English Language.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xandandl said:

My response:  Both of you seem to be mixing subtlety and nuance which are not the same, the same way most people incorrectly interchange presume and assume which have two different meanings in educated English.

The Cadets show was not subtle, I agree.  But it was nuanced in its layerings, individual acting and interpretations, charactertures, and variation of emotions.

I do not need a dictionary to know what NUANCE means in music and the drum corps world for that matter...I respectfully choose to disagree with your opinion...

Edited by Liahona

4 hours ago, Liahona said:

there was a lot of nuance in the show, other than BD probably the most in the top 7 - there was just obvious on top of it...

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

exactly - but don't debate it, not worth it. Some didn't like the religion and some don't like the costumes/theatrical nature of the show. It's ok. There's other things in top shows I didn't like

the performance aspects held them back this past year, but GE was pretty darn strong. And if we had a higher performance level GE would have risen further

a more experienced 2018 corps with some tech "reinforcement" in spots will get that group into the top group in music/visual... they will do better than fine in 2018 IMO

3 hours ago, Brass34 said:

Actually Cavies medaled in 2011 too. 2012-2015 were "down years" after a huge staff shake up. Propaganda signaled "We're back". And they've carried that momentum to this year, passing up the reigning world champs. Essentially it took 4 seasons to get their mojo back. From my perspective, that's pretty quick. But I agree, stiffer competition nowadays. Just being top 5 is incredibly difficult. 

it's a very quick turnaround & I believe we going through the same thing at Cadets -- 2016 all the alarm bells went off after a few years of questionable dynamics and decisions (IMO just as a fan/outsider)... 2017 was a reset with a very young corps. 2018/19 I believe we will see Cadets back in "top four" and then "medal" contention with a possible shot at "beating BD" in 2019/2020

5 hours ago, dans said:

I have lost all optimism for the Cadets. Puzzled why Hopkins is still listed as design staff. He needs to remove himself from the design process and hire a show coordinator/concept person. You can't overcome poor concept/design with bad props, tarps, voice, continuous changes mid-season, and cheese! They continue to make the same mistakes and expect different results! It really shouldn't be this difficult for the Cadets to get back on track...sad to watch!

I get that perspective & totally respect it

I "think" lessons have been learned so I have reason for optimism. But I completely understand others who do not. 

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I get that perspective & totally respect it

I "think" lessons have been learned so I have reason for optimism. But I completely understand others who do not. 

Well at least the question was finally settled that I got blasted for answering honestly which had nothing to do with BIAS..."Can the cadets medal?"

• Like 1