Cadets 2018

3 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Well at least the question was finally settled that I got blasted for answering honestly which had nothing to do with BIAS..."Can the cadets medal?"

I personally think if they recruit well, work hard and don't cheese up the design they "could" medal as early as next season but 2019 is a more realistic timeline given the competion

As someone else already qualified, making the top 7, the top 5 and especially the top 3 these days is extremely hard

19 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

there was a lot of nuance in the show, other than BD probably the most in the top 7 - there was just obvious on top of it...

Exactly. It doesn't matter how well the steak is cooked. If you pour an entire bottle of steak sauce on it no one will like it.

Just now, Brass Lover said:

Exactly. It doesn't matter how well the steak is cooked. If you pour an entire bottle of steak sauce on it no one will like it.

or god forbid ketchup!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, chaddyt said:

Is that an issue, or am I seeing things that aren't there?  If so... how do they get their swagger back?

Push forward.  Before Bloo ever plugged in a synth, before the Cavaliers layered a voice, before SCV spun a wheel, before BD painted massive field props white - the Cadets were pushing the boundaries of what could be done.  They were the pioneers ... then they seemed to stop.  :38_worried:

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Push forward.  Before Bloo ever plugged in a synth, before the Cavaliers layered a voice, before SCV spun a wheel, before BD painted massive field props white - the Cadets were pushing the boundaries of what could be done.  They were the pioneers ... then they seemed to stop.  :38_worried:

Mike N.

Edited by Shewhois

6 hours ago, dbc03 said:

I've said it before but there is nothing wrong with peoples perceptions of The Cadets that a few years of well designed shows won't fix.

Whether the current design staff is able to create shows that will do that is yet to be seen.

This is true - they do need consistently strong show designs. But they also need to attract the kids that can perform those shows at a Top 3 level. And they also need the money to pay for the whole thing during a couple more years that are likely to be competitively pretty rough.

I don't think there's any quick fix. It took Cavies 4 years after the crash to come back and they still haven't won another medal. It took Phantom 4 years from crash to medal, but things haven't gone so well for them since then. It took SCV 7 years from the Rennick/Shaw staff changes to medal (and they also added the single biggest design name in the activity into the mix this past year). The optimistic scenario for a Cadets turnaround is 4 years. For the pessimistic scenario ... well, check out the Madison threads sometime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

or god forbid ketchup!

THIS!!!  ALL THIS!!!  THIS IS THE ISSUE!!!!

George is the constant "bottle of ketchup" that gets poured on to anything they've cooked up once August 1st hits.  

Turn a Soufflé into a Hop Soufflé - Just add ketchup.
Turn a ice cream cone into a Hop ice cream cone - Just add ketchup.
Turn Frosted Flakes into Hop Frosted Flakes - Just add ketchup.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is not putting tomatoes in a fruit salad.  Get him out of the kitchen (i.e. design team).

Edited by HbRJgdZHsbc
Hit enter too soon.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I get that perspective & totally respect it

I "think" lessons have been learned so I have reason for optimism. But I completely understand others who do not. 

Why does a corps the caliber of the Cadets have to place their hopes for next year on "lessons learned"

12 minutes ago, garfield said:

Because those who forget (or choose to ignore) the past are doomed to repeat it, that's why.

We all have blind spots. The wiser among us have people around us to tell us where they are and how to avoid them.