Cadets 2018

14 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Now I am going to be completely fair.

The Cadets' singers did a wonderful job in the show. 

I hated their use in the middle portion of the show.

I would have liked less singing in general, but they nailed it.

a and c I can agree with you completely. b I can see your perspective but don't agree with it completely though you probably have some valid reasons. But that's so 2017. Let us not live in the past.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, xandandl said:

The Cadets had singing in all their contests. You may have heard a tape from winter camp or from early ST before the choir, brass, and percussion were merged. But the Cadets used the choir from ST onward. Where on the front sidelines the choir stood and how they interfaced with the front ensemble did change during the course of the last few weeks, but they were always there.

He meant the opening (Simple Song?) where it went from brass soloist to vocal soloist over the course of the summer.  I preferred the brass version too, if only because it reminded me of Cadets of Christmas Past (no, not 2012...).

Mike

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MikeN said:

He meant the opening (Simple Song?) where it went from brass soloist to vocal soloist over the course of the summer.  I preferred the brass version too, if only because it reminded me of Cadets of Christmas Past (no, not 2012...).

Mike

good clarification, although I liked both versions. I felt for the brass soloist for cracking several times on first note, not an easy pressure. I also wondered what it might have sounded like and what the effect would have been if the brass soloist was blended into the end of the vocal soloist's conclusion of the song. Might have been a nice effect. 

Edited by xandandl

11 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Mike

Brass version was outstanding. A cold horn and MM being out of breath from dragging benches onto the field had a lot to do with the cracks, IMO. Wish they would have kept it though.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, afd said:

This was what I was referring to.

Yes Simple Song as noted by enjoining posters.

Here he played it well at the beginning, one note toward the ends seem to twist. He'll enjoy your comments however. I believe he aged out at Indy. He has a brother, almost identical twin in the brass line too.

PS. Your blogger really needs to have a snack. He wrote Angus for the next song (Scottish for beef) when the title is Agnus, Latin for lamb as in Lamb of God, Agnus Dei.

30 minutes ago, xandandl said:

a and c I can agree with you completely. b I can see your perspective but don't agree with it completely though you probably have some valid reasons. But that's so 2017. Let us not live in the past.

I will gladly go forward, as I want the Cadets to be successful and I want to love them too.

B is entirely my own inability to enjoy that part of the show, so I know it's me.

I can't wait to hear what Cadets choose to do for next year.

• Like 1