Cadets 2018

39 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

You lost me at "guard and visual were dirty and imo overscored" and "very narcissistic sense of design and performing going".

I don't even know how design and performance can be narcissistic.  The guard and visuals were on fire.

I'm not super crazy about many aspects of the music arranging, but that seems to be what the judges want to reward right now.

well it all is being rewarded these days - hence 4th place

there was a lot of dirty

my biggest issue was the design - especially musically

the guard were great performers but I felt the work was repetitive and a ton of phasing going on - and the guard did not march well at all - mostly jazz running all over the place out of step without any defined technique

battery marched well except the bass - brass had mostly clean sets but the interim marching was pretty rough - especially intervals, leaning into direction changes, controlling the contras and bells

as far as the sense of design - it reminds me of watching hipsters take selfies, very about drawing attention to themselves

performance is about the audience, not the performer. Both Bloo and Cavaliers had a lot of "me me me" moments this year

Most of what I'm saying comes down to taste

As far as 4th - I felt Bluecoats were stronger in all captions and I much preferred the music arrangement. Visual design coats had moments but lost GE at other times. I personally would have put them around 3 points ahead of Cavaliers on the next competitive tier JMO - closer to Crown than Cavaliers

I usually like the Cavaliers - just not the past 2 seasons. Even liked the "down years" - and loved many others

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, afd said:

I recently listen to an early July show of the Cadets and the beginning there was no singing. I really loved it. Not sure when they substituted the singing but for my taste the music just didn't vibe with me with all of the vocals especially early into the show.

I do have a recording of the show without the guard - but ST from the Ohio portion onward ALL performances (and rehearsals) had the crowd

35 minutes ago, MikeN said:

He meant the opening (Simple Song?) where it went from brass soloist to vocal soloist over the course of the summer.  I preferred the brass version too, if only because it reminded me of Cadets of Christmas Past (no, not 2012...).

Mike

Oh - I also liked the brass solo better. At first I did enjoy the change when they made it, but it started grating on me more as they added the "can I get an amen" type late seasons "additions"

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I will gladly go forward, as I want the Cadets to be successful and I want to love them too.

B is entirely my own inability to enjoy that part of the show, so I know it's me.

I can't wait to hear what Cadets choose to do for next year.

I don't like the voice in the middle of the show either - and they kept adding and adding to it. The 'can I get an amen?" was horrible (nothing in Cavaliers was that bad trust me)

IF they would have stuck to the moments they should have had the choir and gotten right of ALL the narration/officiating I really believe Cadets would have scored much higher

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Oh - I also liked the brass solo better. At first I did enjoy the change when they made it, but it started grating on me more as they added the "can I get an amen" type late seasons "additions"

She was very, very good however and consistent to the nines. But I can understand your point about how much voice/choir compared to how much brass we heard the whole show.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, xandandl said:

She was very, very good however and consistent to the nines. But I can understand your point about how much voice/choir compared to how much brass we heard the whole show.

Yeah she was but.....not to be critical...I want to hear brass. Same with Crown's singer during the Wicked balled. Nothing against them but how nice to hear a wonderful brass soloist instead of a singer

• Like 1

Uniform wise for next year I would love to see the second uniform from 2017 with a slightly modernized shako. I thought it really captured the classic Cadets look in a modern style.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Uniform wise for next year I would love to see the second uniform from 2017 with a slightly modernized shako. I thought it really captured the classic Cadets look in a modern style.

I fine it most intriguing that the designer of that style, in fact the designer of everything the Cadets wore last summer, is not listed among the 2018 designers of the corps. He was also a designer of some of the color guard work too, wasn't he?  I am aware that the Cadets were to hold meetings with some more design staff members this weekend before the hurricanes were announced.  

Does anyone know any facts with references? I am dissuading rumors as they tend to slander and libel good reputations by hiding anonymously behind keyboards.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I fine it most intriguing that the designer of that style, in fact the designer of everything the Cadets wore last summer, is not listed among the 2018 designers of the corps. He was also a designer of some of the color guard work too, wasn't he?  I am aware that the Cadets were to hold meetings with some more design staff members this weekend before the hurricanes were announced.  

Does anyone know any facts with references? I am dissuading rumors as they tend to slander and libel good reputations by hiding anonymously behind keyboards.

Still working on the design folks for guard I think Hop mentioned chats this weekend with these folks