Cadets 2018

18 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Yea, but you NEVER seem to like them; sorta a damning with faint praise.

I don't think they'll ever be your thing.

Go back and read my reviews of them this year. I don't hate the Cavaliers.  You're right, they are not my style and rarely have been. I did enjoy 1985, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2002, and 2004.  Their James Bond show is my favorite of the bunch.  So it's not like I berate them year in and out. If I have been critical of the Cavaliers it's generally been due to brass arranging, playing, and the segmentation of phrases into snippets and chunks that to me lose effect.  I believe I praised them mightily this year for their marching, drill design, and guard. 

Just because I think someone placing 4th was a "weak" placement doesn't mean I am criticizing the corps members or that I am calling the Cavaliers names.  I'm mostly saying that the judges, IMO, over-scored them.  I know that looks bad of me when clearly I am a Bluecoats fan, but I think we all have favorites and issues with the judges from time to time. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, xandandl said:

But add to this scenario that the Cavaliers since 2006 until now have been through no less than 4 maybe even as many as 5 corps and organization head/directors beginning with Adolph DeGrauwe replacing Jeff Fiedler. (I'm enumerating both CEO's and corps managers.) The Cadets, for better or worse, has had the same corporate head and, for better or worse, the same corps director during that same time period, although by point of standard used the Cadets window would begin at 2011 rather than 2006.

Fair and valid points.

18 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I really don't understand his weird insistence that the Cavies weren't a top 4 corps. 

Meanwhile im sitting here wondering why they weren't in 3rd place this past season

Your opinion is valid, but am I the only person who has not agreed with the judges or not believed a corps belonged in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.?

No hate toward Cavaliers. They are not my style, at least not in a long time. But I do not hate them. Just disagree with the judges. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

I found this to be a good listen. FYI Kurt Ollmann (Riff) was

a professor at my alma mater.

http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2017/09/07/west-side-story-leonard-bernstein

Thanks, BT. I'll give it a listen.

I saw the series also has a lecture on New World Symphony. Did you post that on the P.R. thread? They could use the uplift.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

Go back and read my reviews of them this year. I don't hate the Cavaliers.  You're right, they are not my style and rarely have been. I did enjoy 1985, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2002, and 2004.  Their James Bond show is my favorite of the bunch.  So it's not like I berate them year in and out. If I have been critical of the Cavaliers it's generally been due to brass arranging, playing, and the segmentation of phrases into snippets and chunks that to me lose effect.  I believe I praised them mightily this year for their marching, drill design, and guard. 

Just because I think someone placing 4th was a "weak" placement doesn't mean I am criticizing the corps members or that I am calling the Cavaliers names.  I'm mostly saying that the judges, IMO, over-scored them.  I know that looks bad of me when clearly I am a Bluecoats fan, but I think we all have favorites and issues with the judges from time to time. 

Don't feel bad..all I said was I didn't think the cadets wouldn't medal this year and I got crucified...as far as the Cavaliers...this year was my least favorite show from them sans the 15 minutes of shame show...Does that make me a Cadet or Cavies hater?....I think not...If I didn't care about either one I wouldn't even comment at all...

5 hours ago, kkpjm16 said:

Brass version was outstanding. A cold horn and MM being out of breath from dragging benches onto the field had a lot to do with the cracks, IMO. Wish they would have kept it though.

AHAHAHAHA

You MUST be joking!

hmmmm...let's see...have someone else carry the bench?....blow a little air through your horn before you play...

GOOD GRIEF CHARLIE BROWN!

af236be65db0a4412e97425bca6dfc66--the-pe

Your opinion is valid, but am I the only person who has not agreed with the judges or not believed a corps belonged in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.?

No hate toward Cavaliers. They are not my style, at least not in a long time. But I do not hate them. Just disagree with the judges. 

I, too, was surprised the Cavies ended up in fourth. And I was a little surprised they ended up in fifth in 2016. 

I haven't been overly entertained by them the last couple years, but DCI is better when they're in the top six.

• Like 2

I have no problem with your tastes; I'm a huge Bluecoats' and Cavaliers' fan. I'm a displaced Ohioan too, so I always LOVE the Bluecoats' shows.  I don't think you're anything but honorable towards the Cavaliers, but I do know that over the years you just don't seem to like them.  When they were at the very top, I noticed you always pick them below other corps.  It is what it is...

No problem, we all have our favorites and those corps we do not like.

I personally haven't LOVED a BD show since 1993.  ...and everyone on here knows that.

I just feel that the judges placed the Cavaliers where they placed them, just like when they place Blue Devils at the top with designs that I never care about regardless of performance levels, or other times where they place Bluecoats at the top despite some performance levels.  I wouldn't call Bluecoats' win in 2016 a weak 1st, and I wouldn't call the Cavalier' 2017 placement a weak 4th.  Both corps were obviously good enough in some captions to overtake the competition.

• Like 2