Cadets 2018

2 hours ago, Icer said:

The three additions (Sean King has been there a long time) represent a significant upgrade in talent and maturity.  This is a good thing.

I don't know anything about the others, but Sean is great. One of the finest people I've ever met in the activity.

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I am not sure why the penchant among BAC homers to critique every Cadet move or propagate unfounded rumors as one BAC homer did recently with posts about percussion personnel. Such errant posts seem almost to strategize to turn prospective mms away from one corps and to go to another. The post above tries a similar tactic.

The rambling post above does bring up some interesting points about the challenge many corps ( e.g.especially BAC who claims 50 per cent Floridian membership on BACs recent FB posting of 9/8..."annually over 50% of our corps hails from Florida and Florida colleges and Universities.") will have as a result of the hurricanes in Texas and the East Coast. With fuel prices increasing for all transportation and not diminishing for air transportation, the airfares for most folks are still high and limit travel for those not on business expense accounts or with a reservoir of loyalty points for free travel. All corps continue to be in the hunt for good membership no matter who they are. Nothing is a given. Not for BD, BAC, Crown, Cadets, SCV, Bloo or Pioneer. Every corps has to work hard on recruiting members with talents, deep pockets to pay, and the perseverance to stay the season. Disaffection is present in every corps across DCI as no corps is perfect and no mm is either. For the above poster to harp on Cadets seems another BAC homerism.  Some Crownies and certain Crossmen posters bully the same way in a sad move to put their corps up by putting others down. Certain Crownies were even barred from DCP for going beyond the pale.

Any comments pro or con about vocals and their use past or future for any corps may be moot given the Rules Congress in January. No one knows for certain yet  until votes are taken. Perhaps comments from recent DCI surveys will have some effect, although the past behavior of many corps faculties show their affection for moving the activity beyond the usual horns and percussion. Cadets seem to be covering their bases as I am certain other corps will do as well. Out of area auditions, once unusual, now seem de rigeur.

You are correct, my post is too long, the result of a sleepless night due to a car alarm that went off for about two hours.

"BAC homerism?" Yes, I am a Boston Crusaders fan, I am thrilled we still have one WC corps in the Boston area, and respect those who have kept the corps alive. That being said, I never marched with BAC, I never instructed the corps, and most of those closely associated with the corps today know me through friends of friends and in two cases, through my professional life. I am hardly a Boston Crusader insider, just a long time fan. If that makes me a "BAC homer," that's fine. I do know that there are hard feelings between some associated with BAC, Crown, and Cadets, but any time a Boston Crusaders fan critiques Cadets it is not bullying. I can't remember Cadets not getting a warm reception in the Boston area shows, and I have never sat on my hands after a Cadets performance, including this past year. Most years I enjoy Cadets shows and respect their artistry. Judging from what I see at Boston area shows, Cadets have a huge fan base with people who also love the Boston Crusaders and root for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

Cadets are just trying to find their niche and the choir/vocals is an interesting differentiator that by and large was a success for them this year. After using them for one season they probably figured a lot of stuff out so I don’t blame them for wanting to use them again in some form or another  at this stage we really don’t know how they will be used/featured.

It's really not much of a differentiator. I loved the choir last year. They were beautiful. But, they are not the sole answer to the plethora of problems in Allentown. I would not chalk up 2017 as a success by any measure. I quite liked the show - it had some beautiful moments. But from a competitive and design stance, it was absolutely not a success. it was way over designed, way too literal, and the design wasn't really that good (musically or visually, except for the brilliant integration of the choir - I will give them that). If you look at what the top 5 were doing last year, the 2017 Cadets weren't even remotely in that league. Of the top 12 last year, I would probably put Regiment as the only corps that didn't have a show design better than the Cadets. It was too been there, done that.

In the 80s, 90s, and 00s, the Cadets were the leaders of the activity. Other corps followed them. That is not the case anymore. I think it's time the Cadets start following, until they can get back into that leadership role. They need to forget nearly everything they know and do something completely fresh, if not inventive, while not losing their identity. Stay away from Copland and Bernstein, bring us something new. Something we haven't seen from you, or anybody, before. 

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

They need to forget nearly everything they know and do something completely fresh, if not inventive, while not losing their identity. Stay away from Copland and Bernstein, bring us something new. Something we haven't seen from you, or anybody, before. 

It truly might be time for an all-Jimi Hendrix show.  :8_laughing:

46 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Most years I enjoy Cadets shows and respect their artistry. Judging from what I see at Boston area shows, Cadets have a huge fan base with people who also love the Boston Crusaders and root for them.

Speaking for myself, I'm a big fan of BAC, Cadets, and Crown.  Nothing would make me happier than to see an all-East Top 3 (or 5).  BAC did a lot right last season, and exceeded expectations.  Cadets and Crown both did puzzling things that seemed to waste their strengths.  Saying anything negative about these two was not to bolster Boston, but rather to keep Cadets or Crown from throwing away success with both hands.  Crown will no doubt do well in 2018.  Cadets is a dictatorship over an empire declining.  Can they survive?  Yes, but it won't change voluntarily, it won't be pretty, and it won't be painless.  

42 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

It truly might be time for an all-Jimi Hendrix show.  :8_laughing:

bringing in Shane is a step in the going way out of the comfort zone direction. One can  not view MCM and say their productions are mainstream

• Like 1

19 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Just to make it official, I'm no longer donating or rooting for the Cadets. Hopefully some season down the road that will change

I'm highly unimpressed by the decisions being made. I'll take my support and cheers elsewhere until Hopkins is replaced. 

Obviously I hope the members have a great season - but I just won't be around to support it either online or via donations.

Many others feel the same, Cadets are being destroyed by one individual with (in my view) a God complex.

George.

wow. I take a few days off from DCP because...well life.....and wow. never EVER expected to see this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, xandandl said:

I apologize if anyone, no matter who they are, hurt you while they supposedly represented the Cadets. That's not the Holy Name way.

Ever since the corps office was kidnapped to Pennsylvania by a Pennsylvanian, I have always thought the toxicity that appeared had something to do with the nearby steel industry run-offs getting into the drinking water.there in Allentown. No one has proven me wrong on that.

oh it was toxic before it left NJ.....you just had to read RAMD to know about it

So more choir to sing the difficult parts that in 1983-86 were covered by the incredible brass lines.  Ugh. 

• Sad 1