Cadets 2018

3 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Camp fee only. No registration fee.  Reason for reg fees originally, he says, was to cover cost of mailings pre-internet. Now, not needed.

So, free audition packets? (Sorry, Im slow)

22 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

...But from a competitive and design stance, it was absolutely not a success. it was way over designed, way too literal, and the design wasn't really that good (musically or visually, except for the brilliant integration of the choir - I will give them that). If you look at what the top 5 were doing last year, the 2017 Cadets weren't even remotely in that league. Of the top 12 last year, I would probably put Regiment as the only corps that didn't have a show design better than the Cadets. It was too been there, done that...

(emphasis added)

Really? Cadets design lacking so? Compared with the corps finishing above them? I didn't see it.

What was the genius in the top 5 (or 6)? It's not as if Boston wasn't literal with the witches. Or Bluecoats who delivered a reprise, only this time with a giant, static black hole in the concept. Or Cavies with all that visual and vocal clutter allegedly aggregating to a manly theme. Or Crown who gave us a level of stridency in the closer we're at pains to forget. Or SCV who used - wait for it - CIRCLES to represent snakes consuming themselves while a tiny fraction of the corps covered the vast majority of the notes. Even BD, the lone show in the top six worth another watch - what was that? By the time the One-Eye Sailor rhythm passed, the metamorphosis was lost on all but the most knowledgeable fans. Not to worry in BD's case - an exception in the top 6 - the product was still good.

My view? It  wasn't design that held back Cadets. Boston's raid on Gino and Colin cost the Cadets talent, which cost them in the standings. Only a handful of vets return to the brass line for 2017, and you could hear it. The Cadets brass just didn't present the mature sound that the lines above them did. That deficit resounded across the sheets. Percussion suffered similarly, though maybe not as deeply. 

One final note. Many of you who are criticizing the Cadets design, and in particular the chorus, never saw the show live - or at least didn't see it live in August. It was a different experience live. It was a gorgeous blend of musical textures deserving of more credit than the closed minds of the acoustic past are willing to allow.

HH

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

So, free audition packets? (Sorry, Im slow)

no, those one buys.  many buy audition packets a few years before they attempt a first audition.

I know this all sounds like Tiffany's has now become Bob's Discount Drum Corps as the most expensive corps now addresses the realities of placement marketing, damaged economies in usually DCI fertile areas, and greater rivalries for the same candidates as other corps increase placement and marketing. In my mind, the first contest isn't in June but now getting the bodies through the doors.

So no reg. fees is about a $100 savings and no brass airfare to Texas if you live there already is about $2K savings (if you aren't related to someone in Dallas with Am. Airlines or don't have frequent flier freebees.)

56 minutes ago, glory said:

Really? Cadets design lacking so? Compared with the corps finishing above them? I didn't see it.

What was the genius in the top 5 (or 6)? It's not as if Boston wasn't literal with the witches. Or Bluecoats who delivered a reprise, only this time with a giant, static black hole in the concept. Or Cavies with all that visual and vocal clutter allegedly aggregating to a manly theme. Or Crown who gave us a level of stridency in the closer we're at pains to forget. Or SCV who used - wait for it - CIRCLES to represent snakes consuming themselves while a tiny fraction of the corps covered the vast majority of the notes. Even BD, the lone show in the top six worth another watch - what was that? By the time the One-Eye Sailor rhythm passed, the metamorphosis was lost on all but the most knowledgeable fans. Not to worry in BD's case - an exception in the top 6 - the product was still good.

My view? It  wasn't design that held back Cadets. Boston's raid on Gino and Colin cost the Cadets talent, which cost them in the standings. Only a handful of vets return to the brass line for 2017, and you could hear it. The Cadets brass just didn't present the mature sound that the lines above them did. That deficit resounded across the sheets. Percussion suffered similarly, though maybe not as deeply. 

One final note. Many of you who are criticizing the Cadets design, and in particular the chorus, never saw the show live - or at least didn't see it live in August. It was a different experience live. It was a gorgeous blend of musical textures deserving of more credit than the closed minds of the acoustic past are willing to allow.

HH

So all the problems Cadets had last year (and many have been pointed out by many) you claim it was Boston's raid on Gino and Colin that was the problem?  That because they were gone, only a handful of vets returned and that also contributed to the demise of the Cadets?  I don't agree with this and I agree with many others that the design, tinkered with through the year,  and the decisions made about when changes were installed,  created a hurdle that was hard to overcome as time elapsed.  It is generally not one thing as you are alluding to.

BTW, Boston didn't raid anyone.  Just like no one had raided anyone this year even with all the staff moves we have seen.

1 hour ago, glory said:

HH

It was a VERY strong 7th place finish.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

So all the problems Cadets had last year (and many have been pointed out by many) you claim it was Boston's raid on Gino and Colin that was the problem?  That because they were gone, only a handful of vets returned and that also contributed to the demise of the Cadets?  I don't agree with this ...

Okay. But you kind of missed the point.

HH

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

giphy.gif

Yup, I incorrectly learned it as a kid so that I would say Cope land rather Cop land or Cup land as some others misspeak. But as an old person, I guess I reverting to childish ways.

And the irony is that I was even at Lincoln Center when he, LB, and the NY Phil did his works on the occasion of Aaron's 75th birthday. What a night that was for Mr. Copland.