Cadets 2018

1 minute ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I agree with you. Granted, I don't think they probably had the same level of talent in 2017 as 2011, but design is their downfall. That 2016 corps would have no doubt finished much higher with a better designed product. I just hope they figure it out, but when you have one person in charge who has all the power that's pretty difficult.

Putting my dislike for the 2017 concept aside, there were just a lot of questionable design decisions in that show that I think really hurt the corps. The use of the robes, the pacing, the props, the staging, are just some of the glaring issues that really hurt them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I was even at Lincoln Center when he, LB, and the NY Phil did his works on the occasion of Aaron's 75th birthday. What a night that was for Mr. Copland.

Probably was a good night for you too - sounds like a great concert.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Putting my dislike for the 2017 concept aside, there were just a lot of questionable design decisions in that show that I think really hurt the corps. The use of the robes, the pacing, the props, the staging, are just some of the glaring issues that really hurt them

Agree. The robes made it impossible to look clean. The costume changes were executed in a clumsy fashion. For me, it was the complete overkill. It missed the point of Bernstein's Mass entirely. If you have a staff that doesn't understand these problems, and they are far more educated in this than we are, then you have a massive problem on your hands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Agree. The robes made it impossible to look clean. The costume changes were executed in a clumsy fashion. For me, it was the complete overkill. It missed the point of Bernstein's Mass entirely. If you have a staff that doesn't understand these problems, and they are far more educated in this than we are, then you have a massive problem on your hands.

It definitely did. After having Mass explained to me by many helpful DCPers, I didn’t feel the Cadets captured it much at all. It could’ve been a generic show about Christianity as far as anyone is concerned 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, glory said:

Okay. But you kind of missed the point.

HH

How so.  You were clear that it was the raid on Gino and Colin that cost Cadets talent.  If it was a lack of talent, then say that.  If it was something else then clarify what it was.  The previous poster opined it was design flaws. A substantive consensus on that point too.  I agree and those flaws were followed up by execution of changes, add's  and an end product that was not as cohesive as it should have could have been to be performed cleanly and emotively as it might otherwise have been.  Don't get me wrong, it was still very very good.

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

BTW, Boston didn't raid anyone.  Just like no one had raided anyone this year even with all the staff moves we have seen.

People who are happy at their current job don't seek out new employment opportunities, unless it's a promotion or more money. All one has to do is look up YEA on glassdoor.com and you will see exactly what the problem is.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cowtown said:

Wear that hat proudly.

Perhaps if people reacted more strongly to the chorus, the Cadets would have placed better? It seems general acceptance; lack of outrage created by the chorus really hurt the Cadets. They need a bigger, more controversial distraction next year so we don’t focus on their poorer design and performance. 

Just throwing it out there but maybe they should, I dunno, play the Star Spangle Banner as a mash up with some K-pop hit and then have the guard kneel down. The drum line could then attack the guard, have the horns jump in fray, kill a DM or two while the choir sings the hits of Barry Manilow. Then break out the church bells again, they look great in close up and we all love that shot through them on the DVDs. Hit the angel synth sound, feature a guard girl in white,  the corps stops fighting makes  company front, plays a note, drop the tarps and win DCI

I’d call it Weekend in New England

killing the DM has already been copyrighted by another corps, in 2008 I'm pretty sure. Not yet in public domain.

44 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It definitely did. After having Mass explained to me by many helpful DCPers, I didn’t feel the Cadets captured it much at all. It could’ve been a generic show about Christianity as far as anyone is concerned 

south park beat a dead horse GIF

As noticed by the title, Faithful, Fallen, and Forgiven, the design team (and corps) was not trying to re-present the Lincoln Center production with its meanings and theatrics. The corps got permission to present its own show while trying to be faithful to the MUSIC of Leonard Bernstein, not what the NY Times theater reviewers said you should understand.

I thought this thread was the '18 thread. Here all the comments regurgitate what some have put in the '17 thread. Few have forded the bridge from one season to the next. Issues Cappy, Annie, and Cow?

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, xandandl said:

As noticed by the title, Faithful, Fallen, and Forgiven, the design team (and corps) was not trying to re-present the Lincoln Center production with its meanings and theatrics. The corps got permission to present its own show while trying to be faithful to the MUSIC of Leonard Bernstein, not what the NY Times theater reviewers said you should understand.

I thought this thread was the '18 thread. Here all the comments regurgitate what some have put in the '17 thread. Few have forded the bridge from one season to the next. Issues Cappy, Annie, and Cow?

You've been beating the Hop horse, only fair I can beat this one. 

24 minutes ago, xandandl said:

BTW Xandandl, you were one of the kind posters I was referring to who explained Bernstein's MASS to me when I was complaining about the excess religious imagery in the show. What was the point of your excellent explanation if the Cadets weren't even supposed to be following the essence of Mass?