Cadets 2018

2 hours ago, cowtown said:

Wear that hat proudly.

Perhaps if people reacted more strongly to the chorus, the Cadets would have placed better? It seems general acceptance; lack of outrage created by the chorus really hurt the Cadets. They need a bigger, more controversial distraction next year so we don’t focus on their poorer design and performance. 

Just throwing it out there but maybe they should, I dunno, play the Star Spangle Banner as a mash up with some K-pop hit and then have the guard kneel down. The drum line could then attack the guard, have the horns jump in fray, kill a DM or two while the choir sings the hits of Barry Manilow. Then break out the church bells again, they look great in close up and we all love that shot through them on the DVDs. Hit the angel synth sound, feature a guard girl in white,  the corps stops fighting makes  company front, plays a note, drop the tarps and win DCI

I’d call it Weekend in New England

I was being facetious. Someone awhile ago mentioned that the Cavaliers finals placement was a very weak 4th place.

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

...If it was something else then clarify what it was.  The previous poster opined it was design flaws... 

First, "raid" was a term of art. Talk about too literal.

Second, I was discussing the top 6 and design. It's gospel around here that the Cadets design emerged from the Byzantine church versus the post-Enlightenment revelations of the top 6. That's just wrong. There was plenty of bad design in 2017. Boston's sin is burning witches and amplifying voice. Bluecoats were crippled by a huge jagged scar. Cavies gave us cabaret with a space odyssey.  Crown deconstructed the music. SCV gave us series of circles in order to match the notes mostly played by most of its brass line. And BD, while enjoyable, morphed mostly where few could recognize.

Cadets wore robes. And they told us when the mass ended. Maybe not a not a vision handed down from heaven. Neither was it worthy of Hades. And certainly not the only design that could have been improved. Yet here - where the double standard is holy - it's what held them back.  Have mercy. 

HH 

Edited by glory

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

BTW Xandandl, you were one of the kind posters I was referring to who explained Bernstein's MASS to me when I was complaining about the excess religious imagery in the show. What was the point of your excellent explanation if the Cadets weren't even supposed to be following the essence of Mass?

horizon helps for a fuller view. otherwise one squints with myopia.

You admitted that you were not of a Catholic Christian background so I didn't presume that the symbolisms (and their rejection) would be nuanced or immediately familiar; experiential knowledge and cerebral knowledge are different. You (and others) brought another aspect about belief in a deity at all. Your issue was not ever what the Cadets sought to consider although Bernstein did.............among many issues that he raised in a two hour piece. The Cadets only had 11 minutes (minus drum breaks) so they took some, but not all aspects. That's all. Your vehemence isn't about Cadets it seems.

Edited by xandandl

7 hours ago, LabMaster said:

So all the problems Cadets had last year (and many have been pointed out by many) you claim it was Boston's raid on Gino and Colin that was the problem?  That because they were gone, only a handful of vets returned and that also contributed to the demise of the Cadets?  I don't agree with this and I agree with many others that the design, tinkered with through the year,  and the decisions made about when changes were installed,  created a hurdle that was hard to overcome as time elapsed.  It is generally not one thing as you are alluding to.

BTW, Boston didn't raid anyone.  Just like no one had raided anyone this year even with all the staff moves we have seen.

Hell, I agree with it (although I don't know if I would call it a raid more than I would call it the director's lack of maintaining top staff talent in order to garner top brass and drum talent). When we lost our entire horn staff in 1999 and received a top notch staff in 2000, we became a fantastic brass line (despite the cracks and all the other sh$t we had take place at finals). If you drive your top staff away, you #### sure better have a staff that can match or be much better than that staff. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

All one has to do is look up YEA on glassdoor.com and you will see exactly what the problem is.

I took your advice and Oh my. Toxic work environment!  Why anyone would work there is beyond me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, glory said:

It's gospel around here that the Cadets design emerged from the Byzantine church versus the post-Enlightenment revelations of the top 6.

Nice touch.  :tongue:

re-posted

9/25

Cadets also announced the previous night that there will be no registration fees this year, only camp fees during the winter. Texans and other Southerners will not have to fly in for any camps until Spring Training as parallel brass camps will be held in Texas five times. Percussionists will still be expected to come to camps in the Northeast. This will be a huge saving of flight costs but will also be a challenge to mold the two brass ensembles into one come Spring Training.

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Blaming Cadets’ 7th place finish mainly on lack of talent is the most laughable thing in this thread, and that says something :unsure:

Definitely not a lack of talent, but there were 53 rookies in the brassline. That’s a LOT of rookies. One reason why I think they will fare better is that the extremely young corps had a great experience, hopefully that combined with the Dallas auditions, low camp fees, and West Coast tour will draw the members they need. And the entirely new design team will now have had a year under their belts, and ornaments anyone knows how to incorporate vocalists it’s them. Maybe a little less of them would be good, but the original score was good and if judge’s react positively from the beginning, they hopefull won’t have to add the unnecessary cheese. I’m not thinking medals, but a placement or two up could happen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

If you compare the Cadets design with those of the top 5 and can't see that it isn't in the same league, then I don't know what to tell you. If you think the top 5 didn't have better designed and more compelling shows than the Cadets (BAC and BK too) then I don't know what you're looking at/hearing. The Cadets show was musically beautiful (choir included), but the design staff was completely out of touch with what it takes, from a design standpoint, to compete with the top corps. It was way too literal (the benches, the robes, the bibles, the crosses, the narration - complete over kill. I'm surprised they didn't pass out collection plates through the stands at finals. The changes made that show worse as the season progressed, not better), the props were entirely useless and poorly designed themselves, and just old in it's design. It looked like a relic from the distant past next to SCV and BD. I loved the choir - that was the one thing they did brilliantly. But, if you cannot recognize the massive shortcomings and design issues of the 2017 show, then you either can't get past your bias or you do not understand how a championship show is designed. It's that simple.

Cavies and Crowns shows both annoyed me to no end. So much so that I didn't even bother watching them during finals week. The Cadets staff is completely incapable of designing a good show, much less a championship one. SCV's show was the most brilliant thing I've ever seen on the field after 1993 Star. All elements of SCV's show were brilliantly integrated and executed. There was nothing done during their show that didn't need to be done. THAT's what makes a brilliant design - filling a show to the brim with stuff, but doing it in a way that isn't overkill. The Cadets show, by comparison was silly and embarrassing. I felt bad for those kids having to perform that show. 2017 SCV completely blew away the 2017 Cadets in every way, shape and form. Absolutely no contest in any facet of design or execution. I can say the same, with confidence, about the entire top 6 in comparison to the Cadets. It was a terrible season for them any way you slice it, and there is zero indication they will return to the top tier as long as GH remains in charge. You could see the signs of this starting in 2012, but it really kicked into high gear in 2016 and the downward trend continued in 2017. Not looking promising for their future, especially when one person, who's completely lost touch with reality, pulls all the strings.

a slight disagreement. the staff is capable....when allowed

• Like 1