Cadets 2018

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I took your advice and Oh my. Toxic work environment!  Why anyone would work there is beyond me. 

they held back

• Like 2

Initial audition weekend will be outside on the turf of MetLife Stadium at the Meadowlands, NJ.   Other fields there also available; If stormy weather, indoor facilities there.

GH announces that Cadets will hold 2 camps outside of Houston, TX.

All NJ camps move to Fieldhouse complex at Salem Community College, Salem, NJ. instead on Hopewell/Pennington NJ H.S. gym.

https://www.facebook.com/cadets.org/videos/10155864725386349/

[Corps seems to be pivoting large sound, large experience training to be ready early for Cali corps on Western swing. How much theory fleshes out into reality will be debated on DCP for sure, but corps doesn't seem to be standing still at some aspects. i read parallels to what Bloo has done over the past few seasons in the off season.]

Edited by xandandl

14 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I took your advice and Oh my. Toxic work environment!  Why anyone would work there is beyond me. 

Wow.... 

That page of reviews is unbelievably unfortunate.  As a member, Hop talked such a good game... I put many aspects of his philosophy into practice as a band director.  He's got a lot figured out when it comes to success and perspective of a performing ensemble.  I will always respect him for this.  

But... I just don't see how an organization can run for so long and so "well" with such a tough office atmosphere and turn-over.  30 years of running something is quite an accomplishment... but if there's no training/planning for the future, isn't the whole house of cards built on his expertise and world-view? When Hop gets sick/unable to work for whatever reason, what happens to YEA!?  

And knowing so many people care so deeply for this organization, I'd imagine there is a ready-to-go group of alumni/YEA employees that have a plan for when he does step down... right? 

• Thanks 1

"One Hop to rule them all"...actually that could be a cool, but admittedly weird, show them...

2 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

Wow.... 

That page of reviews is unbelievably unfortunate.  As a member, Hop talked such a good game... I put many aspects of his philosophy into practice as a band director.  He's got a lot figured out when it comes to success and perspective of a performing ensemble.  I will always respect him for this.  

But... I just don't see how an organization can run for so long and so "well" with such a tough office atmosphere and turn-over.  30 years of running something is quite an accomplishment... but if there's no training/planning for the future, isn't the whole house of cards built on his expertise and world-view? When Hop gets sick/unable to work for whatever reason, what happens to YEA!?  

And knowing so many people care so deeply for this organization, I'd imagine there is a ready-to-go group of alumni/YEA employees that have a plan for when he does step down... right? 

I just read their latest job postings.  Do these candidates even exist? They have so many expectations and requirements.

20 hours ago, glory said:

First, "raid" was a term of art. Talk about too literal.

Second, I was discussing the top 6 and design. It's gospel around here that the Cadets design emerged from the Byzantine church versus the post-Enlightenment revelations of the top 6. That's just wrong. There was plenty of bad design in 2017. Boston's sin is burning witches and amplifying voice. Bluecoats were crippled by a huge jagged scar. Cavies gave us cabaret with a space odyssey.  Crown deconstructed the music. SCV gave us series of circles in order to match the notes mostly played by most of its brass line. And BD, while enjoyable, morphed mostly where few could recognize.

Cadets wore robes. And they told us when the mass ended. Maybe not a not a vision handed down from heaven. Neither was it worthy of Hades. And certainly not the only design that could have been improved. Yet here - where the double standard is holy - it's what held them back.  Have mercy. 

HH 

Thanks for the explanation.  I'm not sure it clarifies much though.  starting with raid.  The actual meaning has not relationship with art so you might be making that up.  Per the dictionary definition, raid refers to a sudden attack by your enemy.  Or a reasonably decent pesticide.  I do however appreciate your interpretation of all the shows noted.

19 hours ago, xandandl said:

re-posted

9/25

Cadets also announced the previous night that there will be no registration fees this year, only camp fees during the winter. Texans and other Southerners will not have to fly in for any camps until Spring Training as parallel brass camps will be held in Texas five times. Percussionists will still be expected to come to camps in the Northeast. This will be a huge saving of flight costs but will also be a challenge to mold the two brass ensembles into one come Spring Training.

Sounds desperate but I hope it works

20 hours ago, xandandl said:

re-posted

9/25

Cadets also announced the previous night that there will be no registration fees this year, only camp fees during the winter. Texans and other Southerners will not have to fly in for any camps until Spring Training as parallel brass camps will be held in Texas five times. Percussionists will still be expected to come to camps in the Northeast. This will be a huge saving of flight costs but will also be a challenge to mold the two brass ensembles into one come Spring Training.

If the brass ensembles are getting the same instruction at the satellite camps, molding the two ensembles shouldn't be a problem (in theory).