Cadets 2018

19 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yes, every time anyone critisizes the Cadets they are just bitter and can't possibly know what they are talking about. 

It's not the criticizing.. it's the way you seem to whine while doing it. There is a BIG difference. The Cadets have made their bed and now have to fix it or sleep in it. They don't need anyone to constantly post how bad they are, or GH is, or whatever. I don't know if you know what your talking about or not. Don't really care. What I care about is people like you posting where the members come to see what's going on. They know what the situation is. Maybe you should ask them and spare us your long winded postings here.

1 minute ago, jonwoody said:

It's not the criticizing.. it's the way you seem to whine while doing it. There is a BIG difference. The Cadets have made their bed and now have to fix it or sleep in it. They don't need anyone to constantly post how bad they are, or GH is, or whatever. I don't know if you know what your talking about or not. Don't really care. What I care about is people like you posting where the members come to see what's going on. They know what the situation is. Maybe you should ask them and spare us your long winded postings here.

Amazing how awful Cadets were yet there are those who would kill and celebrate to be anywhere close. All relative I guess.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

I thought DCP is a joke and nobody reads it except to get a good laugh. Can't have it both ways. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2017 at 3:17 PM, queenanne_1536 said:

I felt bad for those kids having to perform that show. 

Even if all your other criticisms were true, the statement above does not square even slightly with the way the kids felt about the show.  They were intensely proud of the show and their effort, and while anyone in a competitive activity wants to will, they believed their 2017 effort was about more than the score.  If, in 2018, with a much more experienced corps and after having a full year of working together they get similar results, the kids may not be happy.  But don't pretend to know what the kids should or should not feel bad about unless you talk to them.

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:23 PM, xandandl said:

nicely written piece by Cadet alum/former instructor now living somewhere "out on that other coast with that other corps."

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2017/09/inside-the-arc-color-pre-or-take-a-knee/

That former instructor was a college history major, as he once told me.

Have to say it was pretty awesome doing the Peace Sign to "White Rabbit" in 1970, the heart of the anti-war era.

We marched the Princeton U P-rade that year (billed as the worlds biggest sloppy parade). Unloaded from the busses in our Cadet unis...right in the midst of the very liberal Ivy-league college full of long hair hippy-types. There we were with our mandatory short hair, full blown Cadet unis...warming up before the P-rade started.

Our great DM, the late Richie Chirichella, started the opener, Gounod's "Queen of Sheba", and the look on the students faces was about what you'd expect. Right after that, he had us play "White Rabbit", and the reaction became totally different. Kids came over in droves, and we got a great applause from them when we finished.

Needless to say, "White Rabbit" was the ONLY tune we played in that parade.     

Post script many years later...both my son and daughter also marched the P-rade, as our HS band is hired every year by one class or the other to march. 

• Like 2

On 10/1/2017 at 8:43 PM, GUARDLING said:

Amazing how awful Cadets were yet there are those who would kill and celebrate to be anywhere close. All relative I guess.

Absolutely.  I wish the junior corps where I marched was that "awful."  

Like college football... if Rutgers goes 8-5, 9-4 every year, I and a lot of other RU fans would be quite happy. But if one of my other faves, Alabama, goes 8-5, 9-4.... Nick Saban is ran out of town on a rail.  LOL

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Absolutely.  I wish the junior corps where I marched was that "awful."  

Like college football... if Rutgers goes 8-5, 9-4 every year, I and a lot of other RU fans would be quite happy. But if one of my other faves, Alabama, goes 8-5, 9-4.... Nick Saban is ran out of town on a rail.  LOL

So true.  Imagine the consternation in Concord, Calif, if the Blue Devils finished out of the Medals some year... say 4th( they have, although quite rare). On the other hand imagine the cartwheels they'd be doing in Sacramento, if the Mandarins finished 12th.... also imagine the  joy the Buffalo Bills football fans would feel if they ever won a Super Bowl some day, or New Yorkers/ New Jerseyites joy if the Jets franchise moved to Mexico City or London. (... ok, so the last example was posted tongue in cheek.. haha)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

So true.  Imagine the consternation in Concord, Calif, if the Blue Devils finished out of the Medals some year... say 4th( they have, although quite rare). On the other hand imagine the cartwheels they'd be doing in Sacramento, if the Mandarins finished 12th.... also imagine the  joy the Buffalo Bills football fans would feel if they ever won a Super Bowl some day, or New Yorkers/ New Jerseyites joy if the Jets franchise moved to Mexico City or London. (... ok, so the last example was posted tongue in cheek.. haha)

At least the Bills have been to multiple Super Bowls....

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Hey... I'm a lifelong Jets fan, and I wouldn't mind!!!   LOL

A line I've used at some of my emcee gigs:  "Personally, I don't follow professional football. I'm  a Jets fan."  :tongue:

• Haha 1