Cadets 2018

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

didn't say that at all. You sound like contemporary media with fake news and their political agenda. 

You must be very near that Quebec border of the US as you usually speak a very different language from what I say in my posts. Quel dommage.

leave the other guy with bad blonde hair out of this

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the corps can only do with what they are given, both administratively and with design. 

I still remember the rumor floating around Allentown in 11, with the corps apparently texting people asking for food when they got there. i dont know if true or not, but I do know a parents group organized a mass pizza order for after the show. The member I knew just said " i dont want to talk about it, I have a week left". Got their ring, never marched again even with a few years of eligibility left.....and still won't talk about it. 

Trust me, I marched in a talented corps that went from champs to basically dead in 2 years despite the members best efforts. 

and trust me. 

I have seen many corps out perform their book to sterling results. I've seen the mms of the Boston Crusaders keep their corps from folding in the past century by stepping up beyond what the adults had supplied, I've seen mms out teach some paid faculty to improve corps performance and surprise staff, judges, and audiences. 

You sad senior sagas are truly your own experience but one size doesn't fit all.

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

and trust me. 

I have seen many corps out perform their book to sterling results. I've seen the mms of the Boston Crusaders keep their corps from folding in the past century by stepping up beyond what the adults had supplied, I've seen mms out teach some paid faculty to improve corps performance and surprise staff, judges, and audiences. 

You sad senior sagas are truly your own experience but one size doesn't fit all.

it's not just a sad senior saga. it's happened many times at all levels of the activity. Boston is that rare one off that actually lives to fight another day.

I'll say this....i won't complain about continuing USBands drama, as it's helped my circuit grow, but I feel bad for those that have put their lives on hold to try and make it work, only to see and hear the same things said time and time again.Lord knows my team aint perfect, but we do strive to get better and the top delegates pretty well.

• Like 4

I’m typing up my epic manifesto on the tragectory of Cadets and Hop over the last 20 years, so I’m sure you can’t wait for that. 

Quickly though, it occurs to me: If Hop leaves, a new admin is probably want to have multiple people, compensated fairly, doing all the things Hop does now, so they can be done well. But, it seems YEA! will never be able to afford that, soo... i dunno.

11 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

One among many reasons they’re a third or fourth tier corps these days. The bottom will drop out. 

actually I'd say with the rumored retention rates and the staff additions they will likely move back up into the top 5 or 4  group, depending on the other corps

• Like 3

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

actually I'd say with the rumored retention rates and the staff additions they will likely move back up into the top 5 or 4  group, depending on the other corps

Retention rates don't matter as much at the top corps as does recruiting the best "one and done" talent.

I mean, great for them if they can hang on to as many of their 18 year olds as possible, that bodes well for a longer-term rebuilding effort, but bumping past three solid corps ahead of them in one year isn't likely, when those other three corps will be closer to the nucleus of the most talented 20 year olds auditioning this fall.

More to the point, if whoever signed off on Stripper Jesus in the 2017 show is still in charge of making artistic decisions, the struggle to regain top status will be even harder.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

Retention rates don't matter as much at the top corps as does recruiting the best "one and done" talent.

Anybody talking about actual retention numbers for any Corps next Summer's competition,...in Sept, early October here,... is really just engaging in wishful thinking too. Marchers will tell their fellow marchers they are sure to come back in the spur of the moment... then Fall, Winter comes around, and they change their mind for one reason or another. 'Happens all the time.... with every Corps. We'll really only know what the actual retention numbers will be after the audition camps are through. Also, many marchers are in no position to say if they'll return or not, as marchers arn't generally guaranteed a spot in line anyway, in many Corps. Top Corps always have a few returnees that are cut in the new off season evaluation process. It sort of reminds me of the N.E. Patriots  Bill Belichick. Over the years, the only player guaranteed a spot in line the following season, Super Bowl win, or All Star at your position or not, was probably Tom Brady... lol. No other players could safely say they " were returning " with the N.E. Patriots the following season under Bill Belichick.... haha!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Heard this line last season too. LOL!  It’s a 7th place corps retention or not. IMO they’re no longer drinking from the same pool of talent.  Might get some cuts from other corps like Boston, unless tuition is too high. Maybe they will surprise us, but I’m not betting they move into that 4 or 5 group at all. 

• Like 1